Just Tested - Need Knowledge

Apr 8, 2015
Dallas/TX
Okay gang, so we just bought a house in the Dallas area with a pool, been here for about 2 months. We inherited a pool guy who was taking care of the pool for the previous owners, but after reading on this site for the past month or so and the pool starting to grow algae, we decided to get rid of the pool guy and take care of it ourselves. He was using 3" tabs for chlorination in a floater.

After reading through pool school and a bunch of posts about SLAMing and caring for the pool I was sure I had it down and would not need to ask questions, guess I thought wrong!

So here it goes...
Taylor K2006 test kit arrived yesterday, I know we have minor algae in the pool but the water looks perfectly clear, except right after brushing. Brushing causes the pool to turn slightly clouding green, then clears after a couple of hours of filtering and settling. Last weekend I completely disassembled the DE filter cleaned it and re-loaded the DE.

Just ran a full test on the pool...
FC = 3.5
CC = .5
PH = 7.4
TA = 80
CYA = 90
CH = 350

My plan is to perform a SLAM to completely kill off the algae, but I question first is with the CYA high and CH slightly high should I do a partial drain and refill to lower those first or after the SLAM. I plan on lowering them just not sure if it would be better first or second.

Also one other question, my backwash drain line is tied into the city sewer line in front of my house. Is this normal or good or bad?

Thanks for your thoughts!

A partial drain will mean you wil need less chlorine for the SLAM, so yes - I would address it now.

With a CYA of 90 your target FC should be 10 and NEVER go below 7. if you don't address the CYA your shock level is 35

As long as the sewer authority has no problems with the backwash drain going into their system it seems like a good plan.

I agree with Tim. Go ahead and take care of the CYA issue now, it will be much easier and less expensive.

If your backwash is plumbed into the city sewer line, it was done so (I would hope) with the city building code and permit office, so should be ok (I would think).

Okay gang, so we just bought a house in the Dallas area with a pool, been here for about 2 months. We inherited a pool guy who was taking care of the pool for the previous owners, but after reading on this site for the past month or so and the pool starting to grow algae, we decided to get rid of the pool guy and take care of it ourselves. He was using 3" tabs for chlorination in a floater.

After reading through pool school and a bunch of posts about SLAMing and caring for the pool I was sure I had it down and would not need to ask questions, guess I thought wrong!

So here it goes...
Taylor K2006 test kit arrived yesterday, I know we have minor algae in the pool but the water looks perfectly clear, except right after brushing. Brushing causes the pool to turn slightly clouding green, then clears after a couple of hours of filtering and settling. Last weekend I completely disassembled the DE filter cleaned it and re-loaded the DE.

Just ran a full test on the pool...
FC = 3.5
CC = .5
PH = 7.4
TA = 80
CYA = 90
CH = 350

My plan is to perform a SLAM to completely kill off the algae, but I question first is with the CYA high and CH slightly high should I do a partial drain and refill to lower those first or after the SLAM. I plan on lowering them just not sure if it would be better first or second.

Also one other question, my backwash drain line is tied into the city sewer line in front of my house. Is this normal or good or bad?

Thanks for your thoughts!

My daughter lives in the City of Farmers Branch, Texas, across the street is Dallas. In Farmers Branch it is a 'requirement' that you backwash to the sanitary sewer. She got a warning notice telling her not to backwash to the storm drain. I live in the City of Bedford, Texas, and all new DE Filter backwash lines also have to be connected to the Sewer. Not sure if Dallas is the same way or not, but since you are already connected to the sewer, my guess would be that it is perfectly normal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.