Hurricane Ike

Aug 27, 2008
We live in the Houston area and have a new IG SWG pool. Ike is heading our way. What do I need to do to get the water ready for the rain and the aftermath? I have some chlorine pucks, muratic acid and some shock. Any tips on how to get the water back up? Im sure we will lose power so the pumps will be down for a while.

Most people bring the pools to shock levels...

but I really wanted to say, STAY SAFE and God Bless all in Ike's path!

Thanks, so I put a pound of shock in the pool before the rain starts? Its about 15k gallons. I am not familiar with the shock process other than the PB put some shock in at start up. How long does the shock last? Should I put my floater in with some pucks since the SWG will be down?

Hi, Greg,

"Shocking" your pool is a process....not a product. There's a good article up in Pool School on that subject entitled "Shocking your Pool"....clever title, huh? :lol: :lol:

There's other good articles there as well to help you get a good grasp of pool water chemistry.

Right. Shock the pool tomorrow before Ike shows up!

What if my power goes out for days? Would like to jump in the pool to cool off for a few days. Any tips on getting it safe without pumps?

With Allison, we were high and dry and the pool stayed clean, but some of my neighbors got bunches of gunk in their pools. I'm crossing my fingers for clean pool, but you never know. I've got plenty of bleach and acid to get the water right if its flowing. Anyone ever tried hooking up a 120v generator to a 220 pump? I've got lots of (expensive) gas :)

We live in Missouri City so we are right there with you.

The first thing to do is clear the area around the pool of anything that could get blown in. Of course you are going to have limbs, etc but unless you let them sit in your pool for a long time, you should not have too much trouble.

I have not done anything out of the ordinary. After the strom blows through, I'll net out anything large and let the cleaner run for as long as it takes to clean the bottom, and of course, empty the skimmer often. If you don't allow the organics to sit in your pool AND you already have enough FC, you should be fine. If it makes you feel better, throw in a couple bottles of bleach (especially if you are evacuating) and then you can balance after things settle. The priority should be protecting your family. If your pool gets a little green it's only a minor inconvenience.

We're predicted to get pummeled all day Saturday and Sunday. Assuming it really gets this far, I understand now that we need to shock before the rain arrives (we've not done so after the couple of big rains we've had this summer). Someone said, on another thread, to be sure to let plenty of water out, in anticipation of the rain filling it back up. (drained a few ", didn't get the rain, had to fill it back up :rant: ) So, once we confirm that we really are going to get all the rain, should we shock and let the pool run for a little while, then drain down however many inches of rain we're expecting, then turn pool off? Can't run the pump with it drained so low. How long can you leave a pool off without getting algae, even if you've just shocked?

Why my skepticism about us actually getting the rain? Usually, once the clouds hit the two lakes we sit between, they separate and it rains all around us and we get nothing! :(

Don't drain the water. The groundwater from the rain could damage the shell or float the liner. Having a pool over full doesn't hurt anything. You can drain it after the rain stops.

GOOD. I was worried that if the rain overfilled and went over the top, that the ground directly around and under the pool would be flooded with water and cause the liner to float. Our dirt is soft again where we just installed the 2nd return jet, so it's not packed like it was. So it won't hurt anything for the rainwater to fill it all the way to the top to overflowing?

JohnT said:
Don't drain the water. The groundwater from the rain could damage the shell or float the liner. Having a pool over full doesn't hurt anything. You can drain it after the rain stops.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.