Centerville, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
Hey guys - I am trying to figure all this out. We have had an AGP for 3 years and always used pucks with no problems. Just took it down and starting a build for an inground pool. I am trying to read as much as I can, but I feel, at times, that I am in an advanced chem class and going to flunk which scares the **** out of me. We are NOT going with SW - so that isn't an option. My PB builds mostly SW pools so I feel that is his primary knowledge base so before I ask him chlorine questions - I want your opinions.

For the chlorine - he installs the Rainbow Chlorinator - its super cheap, so removing it wouldn't make any difference in the cost. I understand that pucks are not the long-term solution. I think, after my initial start-up I want to jump in with liquid chlorine. So I am thinking of the Liquidator. ---- FYI I will have Pebble Sheen if that matters.

I have read so many threads - and it seems that in the beginning the Rainbow is great and also good if you are traveling . . . but that if I am going to do liquid - I really need the Liquidator (or Sterner pump) ***NOTE I AM WAY OVER BUDGET - SO I HAVE TO BE CAREFUL WHAT I CHANGE***

OK - so all of that to get to my question. Is there a way to have both the Rainbow and the Liquidator hooked up and running without causing any issues? I know you have to be careful with mixing - but not sure if there is a way to set it up where it would work. If not - I am thinking of asking my PB to get rid of the Rainbow and install the Liquidator - Im worried - because I know so many PB aren't up to speed with BBB and I don't want to void any warranties and such.

Any assistance would be appreciated!

Just a tidbit, I don't know about the main question you are seeking...however I find it necessary to point out that you don't "need" a liquidator. You can dose it manually as many of us do. This may be known, but I didn't want to assume it was.

First, and this is just my opinion, there are too many reported problems with the Liquidator lately. Now, the vast majority deal with differences in chlorination due to VS or two speed pumps, but there are issues.

Without going down the "why no SWG" road (I guess that's a peek down that road) if it were me I would go Stenner Pump. Yes the Stenner and the Rainbow can be installed in the same system without issue. Or, just have him install a "T" fitting (with a threaded third leg plugged) in the return line and you can install the Stenner later.

Yes, certainly possible to have a tablet feeder, and a Liquidator at the same time. You could even have a bleach feed pump in addition without problems. They key is to space out the chlorine injection points just a little bit so chlorine gets diluted before reaching the next chlorine injection point.

I did know you can do it manually - but I have read people saying they are manually adding a gallon a day - it just seemed easier to have a $170 unit installed at build and only fill it once a week. (I am the one that will be the pool boy :( hubby has made it a obvious if I want this pool I will take care of it.) I am a KLUTZ - so I could totally see myself splashing bleach, spilling, etc. I was just looking for a simple fix to help take that out of the equation as much as possible. However - I am NOT opposed to doing it myself daily if need be!

I totally don't want to get into a SWG debate - I promise, I didn't want to go there with this thread. But just so you can see where I am coming from - I love the idea of them - I love swimming in them - I love how you just add salt to them . . . but I have 3 friends that converted to chlorine from sw in the past couple of years because of damage to their waterfalls, stones and equipment. They all had pool companies taking care of their pool - so no idea if it was a combination of balance issues, or what have you. I just know ME and I know I am not going to be sealing my rockwork and flagstone all the time. So I made the gut decision to go with chlorine.

You bring up a good point - I will have a VS pump - I hadn't realized that causes an issue with the Liquidator. So I will strike the LQ out of my equation. The Sterner is quite a bit more. Maybe I can just ask the builder to install the plumbing for the future addition - if I ever decide to go down that road.

Thanks again for the help!

I did know you can do it manually - but I have read people saying they are manually adding a gallon a day - it just seemed easier to have a $170 unit installed at build and only fill it once a week. (I am the one that will be the pool boy :( hubby has made it a obvious if I want this pool I will take care of it.) I am a KLUTZ - so I could totally see myself splashing bleach, spilling, etc. I was just looking for a simple fix to help take that out of the equation as much as possible. However - I am NOT opposed to doing it myself daily if need be!

I totally don't want to get into a SWG debate - I promise, I didn't want to go there with this thread. But just so you can see where I am coming from - I love the idea of them - I love swimming in them - I love how you just add salt to them . . . but I have 3 friends that converted to chlorine from sw in the past couple of years because of damage to their waterfalls, stones and equipment. They all had pool companies taking care of their pool - so no idea if it was a combination of balance issues, or what have you. I just know ME and I know I am not going to be sealing my rockwork and flagstone all the time. So I made the gut decision to go with chlorine.

You bring up a good point - I will have a VS pump - I hadn't realized that causes an issue with the Liquidator. So I will strike the LQ out of my equation. The Sterner is quite a bit more. Maybe I can just ask the builder to install the plumbing for the future addition - if I ever decide to go down that road.

Great plan IMO...

In the grand scheme of things, there is not much difference in a liquidator at $170 and a stenner at $250. The 15 gallon tanks can be found for $20. Even if you don't do this right away, since you are considering it, I would definately ask your PB to install a tee to handle the injection fitting when they plumb your equipment pad.

I forgot to mention that you should also ask your PB to make sure your equipment pad is large enough to give you some space to place the chlorine tank.

There are known issues with salt and some stone. You are doing a good job at due diligence to make sure you end up with what will work for you.

Adding the capped "T" to the return line should add about $1.50 to the cost of your pool.

What is being installed for automation or pump timing? You may want soem inclusions on the electrical side to switch the Stenner on/off with your pump.

In the grand scheme of things, there is not much difference in a liquidator at $170 and a stenner at $250. The 15 gallon tanks can be found for $20. Even if you don't do this right away, since you are considering it, I would definately ask your PB to install a tee to handle the injection fitting when they plumb your equipment pad.

I forgot to mention that you should also ask your PB to make sure your equipment pad is large enough to give you some space to place the chlorine tank.

Wow - I guess I need to research a little better! I googled and found a complete setup for $500.00.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There are known issues with salt and some stone. You are doing a good job at due diligence to make sure you end up with what will work for you.

Adding the capped "T" to the return line should add about $1.50 to the cost of your pool.

What is being installed for automation or pump timing? You may want soem inclusions on the electrical side to switch the Stenner on/off with your pump.

I am hoping to have the $ to do the EasyTouch4 Control Panel with Smart Phone App - It is a nice chunk of change - if I don't have the money to get that by the end of the build - I will use the controls on the IntelliFlo XF Pump until I can.

I am hoping to have the $ to do the EasyTouch4 Control Panel with Smart Phone App - It is a nice chunk of change - if I don't have the money to get that by the end of the build - I will use the controls on the IntelliFlo XF Pump until I can.
Well, the Stenner pump will come with a plug on the end of a cord, so just take into account that you will need your system to turn a receptacle on/off. You can get the pumps in 110v or 220v, so however the electrician does it you can get a pump to work.

US Watersystems seems to have the best prices on the pumps. all you need in addition ot the pump is a tank to store the chlorine. Depending on your location you can sometimes find them on Craigslist. Figure anywhere between a 10 - 15 gallon tank (plastic) will work. I think mine was $20.

Sunbaby,
This was an excellent question. I've been debating the same thing. I'm wondering if I should broach the subject with my PB, and see if I can get my system configured "better" at the build...and not try to hodge-podge it after. I've been hesitant b/c I've heard that warranties can be voided, etc... Also, I'm not getting into a debate with the PB...I've already decided I'm using this method, end of story.

And just to complain...it hasn't stopped raining :(. I doubt there will be digging in my backyard next week. It is a swamp.

Yes, they have a fit when you start talking about things like injecting bleach. Many of them anyway. Some of them even believe it's bad or believe myths about it that are simply that. Myths or misunderstandings.

I posted once in here and want to be clear. I have nothing against either system. I like them and actually deal with sometimes very complex injection systems every day. Things break, get plugged, lose suction...on and on. Theses things require a little maintenance, not like adding bleach or acid manually, but they have to be maintained. Someone has to do it, and for my peace of mind at home, manual is just less worry for me. You mentioned wanting some automation/remote control, etc. I love that on my system and I'm so glad I spent the extra 13-1400 on it. Just food for thought...you might enjoy that more. For sure though, have the system plumbed where you can stab an injection point or two down the line if you don't put it in now. Just something to think about is all.

It's kinda scary asking PB about things that aren't industry standard!
It's even scarier when you find out how little most pool builders understand about pool care and maintenance. Remember, their primary source of training has been "on the job" by being taught by "older" pool builders or by folks at related pool companies who want the builder to push their chemical line.

Wendy I have made adding my chlorine as part of my bed time routine--------turn pump on high, add my 7 cups of chlorine (11%) to may pool. Go in brush teeth, etc. Go back out and turn the pump off.

When we go away for the weekend or even overnight I have a floater that I put the pucks in to keep me safe until we get home.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.