No Pressure from Pump

Apr 12, 2015
IL
Hello all. I just had my first opening this morning. :)

After I got the pump running, the pool guy told me not to add anything to the pool until after the pump runs 1-2 days straight. Note that my water was cloudy and I had a lot of organic debris in the water as the cover did not completely cover this pool over the winter.

I ran the pump fine for about 5 hours today and then tested (for the first time). Readings were as follows:
175 CH
70 TA
70 CYA
68 PH (not sure if this is accurate--this is the lowest number in the test)
Water was at 59 degrees.

I turned off the pump..
I added some DE to the skimmers (.75 cup) to improve the filtering.
The filter PSI reading went from 21 to about 25 in an hour or two.

I didn't expect it to go up this much and wasn't sure if it was due to the DE or the debris in the pool.

I turned the pump off and performed my first backwash (I later learned that this may not have been a good idea)? In any regards, when turning the pump back on, it was making a louder than normal noise and the filter showed 0 PSI. I checked the flow at the pool and nothing was moving. Looking in the pump, I did not see water filling the skimmer while it was running. When the pump stops, water will fill the skimmer again.

(Note that I have not added any chemicals to the pool as of this point.)

I really don't want to call the pool guy back over if I don't have to. Does someone have any ideas on where I could start? Was thinking of taking some time off work tomorrow and taking the pump apart (I watched a YouTube video)... Again, I would rather not spend my time tomorrow doing this. Any suggestions? Hope it's something simple.

~As a first time pool owner, I have a lot to learn~ :)

Thanks!

It sounds to me like the water level is too low or the weir (door) in the skimmer is stuck. What's happening is that you're sucking all the water out if the skimmer and losing prime. You probably lowered the water too much when you backwashed. Also make sure the pump basket is clean and the lid on it is down tight.

By the way, the rapid pressure increase is normal when you're using DE in the filter in a green pool. You're better off just letting the sand filter catch what it can until the water is grey and cloudy and then add the DE when you can stick around and babysit.

When you changed your valve position to backwash, did you change the position of any other valve? Perhaps closing the pump inlet valve? Also, if your control valve is a multivalve, check to be sure you actually put it in the backwash position. On my valve, "closed" (some say winterized) and "backwash" are right next to each other.

The water level is at or above the marker on the return. I have two skimmers in the pool--both doors are open. I checked the pump basket and retightened the lid.

When I changed the valve position to backwash, I dot not change any other valve. I turned off the pump, put the multi-valve in backwash, turned off the pump, then put it in Rinse. Turned off the pump, then in Filter gain. What I *forgot* to do the first time, is let the air out of the filter. However, I have since tried this process again with the air valve open.

Right now, when the air valve is open, the multivalve in filter.. the pump has water in the basket.. When I turn this on, the pump empties water in the basket and runs with no pressure in the filter. No water is coming out of the filter release valve. When I turn it off, the basket fills up again.

I would love to start my first SLAM process, but need this pump working again :)

Something is stopping the waterflow to the pump. Either a valve, low water, plugged water pipe, stuck weir door, low water level. Or an air leak in the suction side plumbing is sucking air instead of water.

Do you have. Bottom drain? Can you switch all flow to the bottom drain with a valve?

No, bottom drain is the drain on the bottom of the pool.

The marks on the skimmer are a guide only. If your pump is large, those marks are meaningless.

When the pump is on, what does the water in the skimmer box look like? Not the pot on the pump itself, but the basket/box on the backside of the skimmer opening. Is it full? Is the water rushing out of the skimmer box? Is there a vortex?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey, I've seen pics of that pool before! Nice!

On the coming into pump pic, where does the pipe on the bottom draw water from? A suction cleaner?
On the upper two pipes the left says deep, is that for bottom (main) drain and the other is skimmers?

If yes to both above then I propose turning the lower valve so that off points down to bottom pipe and upper valve off to right so that skimmers are off. And see what happens.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.