Neglect

jo27

Sep 11, 2008
Just come back to Cyprus after three months away at the hottest time of year. The pool had a solar cover on and the filter was set for about four hours a day. We thought that someone we had asked to look after it would occasionally hoover it etc, but it seems that all they did was to drop in chlorine 3 in 1 tablets.

Now we are trying to clean it up. We had a sandstorm just to make things worse. The water is murky and had a greenish tinge. The Ph was non existent so I am adding some Ph Up in the skimmers most days and it has at least reached the bottom reading on the testing kit. Chlorine seems okay.

My problem is that when I switch on the pump prior to backwashing (yet again) a stream of filthy water goes straight back into the pool through the three filter outlets. How can I get rid of the dirt which has filtered without half of it going back in? What would be the best regime to follow to get the pool clean and sparkling once again? Step by step would be appreciated.

On the bright side, the green tinge has now gone, following the discovery that the sand in the filter was very low and we topped it up. However, I haven't seen the bottom yet (after ten days). I would love a swim - it is very hot......

Welcome, you'll need a full set of test results so that we can help you better....

I also recommend you read all the articles in pool school, in order, if you not have already done so. Pay particular attention to Shocking your Pool and Defeating Algae.

Welcome! :wave:

Hey Jo, welcome to TFP!!

As Pool Mom said please read Pool School and also make a sig which tells us about your pool. What I'd like to know is what kind of filter do you have? Also what options do you have with the multiport (some have more, some less)

Unfortunately we have to ask some questions to be sure that we know how your system works (there are soooo...... many different types) :)

jo27 said:
My problem is that when I switch on the pump prior to backwashing (yet again) a stream of filthy water goes straight back into the pool through the three filter outlets.

Something is wrong with your filter. The filter should not let obvious dirt through to the pool. You mentioned needing to add sand, but needing to add sand is very unusual. Extremely low sand would allow dirt to get through the filter, but the sand shouldn't get extremely low unless something is wrong.

Is sand coming out of the filter into the pool? That can happen if you have a broken lateral (or something more serious wrong).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.