Chapter One: It Came With The House

Apr 8, 2015
Arlington, TX
Ok here we go! First question for the experienced.

The Polaris 380 keeps hanging and tangling up. My reading has told me the hose might be too long. Also seems like there is one too many sections... Here are some pics..

Hangs up here alot

and here

The hose should be long enough to reach, pulled relatively straight, from the outlet to the farthest point of the pool, on the surface. If yours is long, it is likely to curl around and get tangled. As I recall when installing mine, the installation instructions were a bit picky about which end of the hose is cut to length, so be sure to google the instructions for your model to adjust the hose length. The other thing to play with on the polaris is the water outlet "tube" on the bottom, back of it. You can point it different directions to test out how it best works to guide it around your pool.

Welcome!

Re: Polaris Pool Cleaner gets stuck

Mine was doing exactly the same thing. Although my hoses, swivels and floats are all 10 years old, I decided to experiment before replacing anything. The first thing I tried was to have the backwash from the backup valve blow towards the front of the Polaris instead of towards the back. That was too days ago and so far I've had only a couple of hangs which the Polaris corrected itself within 30 seconds of the backup valve turning off. That all seemed too easy, so I'll post back here in a week or two and let the group know if things are still working properly.

Thanks, Bill

I have the same Polaris and I've had a lot of problems with mine. There may be a ton of things causing it to hang up, but IMO, the most important thing is to make sure your back-up valve is working properly. It should cycle every few minutes to pull the Polaris off of whatever it is stuck on. I think getting stuck is unavoidable with these things, but if your back-up valve is working, it won't stay stuck.

Before I replaced mine, I noticed that even when it wasn't "activated," the back-up valve had a steady stream of pressure coming out, which I think was interfering with the operation of the Polaris. Once I replaced it, it got stuck less and it now pulls itself off of whatever it is stuck on.

Mine was doing exactly the same thing. Although my hoses, swivels and floats are all 10 years old,

10 years... AMAZING. Then I noticed ARIZONA location. Ok, now I see.

My Polaris hose needs to be replaced after about 3 or 4 years. Winter stiffens it a lot, and it runs all winter here in Houston area. Also the swivels tend to get old and stiff, sort of crunchy instead of smooth twisting. But, getting a full new replacement hose online was actually cheaper than going part by part as I tried to do at first. Several parts were essentially free.

To the original poster, Maybe you should try a whole new hose if yours is over 4 years old.

10 years... AMAZING. Then I noticed ARIZONA location. Ok, now I see.

FWIW, the post that mentioned that my equipment was 10 years old was posted in another thread. The moderator moved the reply to this thread because the other thread had not had another reply in almost years, so he thought it was more appropriate here.

A contractor is just winding up a major renovation of my pool which should be over in a week or three. After that I intend to take the 100's of pictures I've taken of the process, delete all but the most interesting photos, then make a web page. I'll post a link in this forum when it's ready.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.