New Pool step weights

JGDUSC

Jun 10, 2013
Gilbert SC
Got some new steps and ready to float. Like the ideas here about being able to remove the weight. Fought the old ones the previous had filled with sand.

Gonna make some of the weights out of 3"PVC. Quick question I may have missed. Do you mix the cement and fill the tube. Allow to dry then cap? Or is it dry? Thanks!

Call me cheap but I filled bleach jugs with sand and water n used bungee cords to hang them under the steps. Done.

Gonna make some of the weights out of 3"PVC. Quick question I may have missed. Do you mix the cement and fill the tube. Allow to dry then cap? Or is it dry? Thanks!
If you're going to use cement, I'd recommend mixing it up like you were going to use it and pouring the tubes full. That way it's the heaviest it can be.

I prefer to think of myself as value conscious :lol: Have a bunch of 3" pvc pcs and a bag of concrete left over from another project so. A couple caps and I am on my way! I assume they could be filled with sand as well but I have the concrete.

I use pea gravel instead of sand (and fill the spaces with a bleach/water mix).

That way if a cap comes loose, pea gravel is a lot easier to clean up than sand from the bottom.

-dave

I am still tweaking this design. There aren't many attachment points for my PVC weights. Had another thought. Wanted opinions on. 5 gallon bucket of pea gravel in a food service filled container. The are 3 bucks at firehouse subs. Hopefully the pickle smell wouldn't leach out:D

Why go with a pickle scented bucket to put in to pool. Just use a 5 gal pail from any big box store. It does not have to be food safe to go in the pool, just clean.

However, if you go with the pickle bucket, the smell will fade. I have a 30-40 gallon barrel that used to hold hot, pickled, cherry peppers. I use it as a rain barrel. The smell fades after about 2 weeks of it sitting (emply) in the sun.

-dave

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That's what im going to do this year. The last two years ive used to 5 gallon Home Depot buckets filled with 40lb bags of concrete. Place lid on top of buckets, then set inside stairs. Only down side is the lids will get algae on top, but this year im drilling more holes in stairs for water circulation...

We filled 5 3'-4' long 3" PVC pipes with sand and sealed/glued the caps on. We zip tie them together and attach them under the stairs. Stairs don't move much. LOL
Cut the zip ties at end of season to remove the weights and then use them on the deck to hold the cover down over the winter. Works great. ;o)

I used bleach bottles filled with pea gravel last summer and it worked well. I liked the idea of putting water and bleach in them too. Already got them back in the pool this spring. It took six of them to hold the steps down. They are attached with bungee cords.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.