Ready to start Slamming

Jun 12, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Long story short we bought a house that has an Intex Ultraframe pool. Looks to be in pretty good condition (no evident leaks) but there's is an algae problem. Previous owners said the water was thick with algae and they started the shock process but as you can see there's no chlorine anymore. The water is a cloudy green but when I took the water sample it was very clear with a hint of brown color.

We're just guessing that there's roughly 10,500 gallons in the pool as it was partially drained but it's been raining like crazy here for the last 3 or 4 weeks and the pool is almost full again. I've replaced the crappy cartridge filter with a 2650 sand filter. I have some DE but haven't added it yet. There is a SWG but it's not currently hooked up. What do y'all recommend to fix or do before I start the shock process? Thanks!!

TF-100 test kit readings are:
FC: 0
pH: 6.8
TA: 100
CYA: 60
Salt: 2000

Welcome to TFP!

First, study the ABCs and SLAM procedure in pool school. Links are in my signature.

With bad Algae, I suggest a drain to lower Cya to 40 minimum, 30 being preferable.

Don't add DE yet nor worry about other parameters until drained, and done refilling to get the suggest Cya of 30-40.

If this was my pool, that's what I would do.

Adjust the PH up to somewhere between 7.0 and 7.4. Because the standard PH test reads anything lower than 6.8 as 6.8, your current PH could actually be much lower.

Other than that you are good to SLAM.

Thanks! The pool manual says 90% capacity is 10,980. But it has rained so much in the last week that the pool is at maximum capacity right now. As in, if it rains any more then the water will be spilling out of the sides. I'm thinking I really need to drain it a bit.

Thanks! The pool manual says 90% capacity is 10,980. But it has rained so much in the last week that the pool is at maximum capacity right now. As in, if it rains any more then the water will be spilling out of the sides. I'm thinking I really need to drain it a bit.
Draining is good, it takes CYA with it. I started with 200+ CYA and was willing to take all the rainwater I could get to help bring that down.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bad new, I'm just now starting this process. Good news, I've successfully survived and graduated Nursing school! Now I've got 3 weeks to completely dedicate time to the pool before I start my new job. Came home yesterday and found that my DH had drained all but 6 inches of the pool water. So much for all that bleach I bought. While the water level was low I scrubbed down the walls and got up all that could from the bottom. It's still a bit of a mess but not like it was.

The pool is now refilled, per the water meter we've got about 9126 gallons in it. I added a little less CYA than the Pool Calc suggested since I'm not 100% sure how reliable the water meter is.
These are my current readings:
FC: 0
pH: 7.2
TA: 40
CYA: 0

Should I wait until until my CYA starts to register and levels out before I start the process? I know it can take a better part of a week to get true CYA readings. Or do I treat based on what my daily CYA readings are?

Thanks for all your help. Y'all are awesome!

I was going for a CYA around 30

Ok then just assume your CYA will rise to 30 through the week and use a shock level target of 12. It is important you test every couple hours in the beginning and add as needed. Lots of brushing the pool down too. Backwash as needed. I usually go according to my water flow from the return instead of relying on the guage.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.