Cloudy Residue coming from walls when brushed??

Apr 28, 2014
Madison, MS
Our pool is a little less than an year old. It was finished last July. We live in Mississippi and left it running all winter. Being a new pool owner, I did not test the water much over the winter and some of the levels got off. My numbers when I first checked this spring were:

FC 0
CH 150
TA 90
pH 8.2+
CYA 30

I added liquid chlorine to bring up FC and also turned on my SWG since the water temp had come up enough to run. I also added acid to lower pH. I added stabilizer to raise CYA. Second set of numbers a few days later were:

FC 4
CC 0
CH 150
TA 80
ph 8.2
CYA 40

I added more acid to lower ph every few days. I added calcium chloride to raise CH and got these numbers after about a week:

FC 6
CC 0
CH 175
TA 80
ph 8.2
CYA 40

The pH still rises pretty quickly so I am having to add acid to keep it down about every 2-3 days. I have added more calcium chloride to raise CH some more. I also added more stabilizer to raise CYA some more. My FC has went way up with the pump and SWG now running 24/7 to try to clear up the cloudy residue so I have turned the SWG off to bring it back down. What could be causing this cloudy residue and how do I get rid of it? The walls have a slimy feel when I touch them and it is like a cloud of smoke that comes off them. My current numbers are as follows:

FC 13
CC 0
CH 225
TA 70
ph 7.5
CYA 50

thanks in advance for any help!

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry no one answered yet.

pH rise in a newer pool is very normal and should be expected. You want to avoid those swings to 8.0 pH ASAP, so get more frequent with your pH testing. Your SWG also adds to quicker pH rise just FYI.

How long has this brushing issue been going on, and has it gotten better or worse since you started? As for the walls feeling slimy, that could be your lack of FC history. If the water is hazy, you could be on the verge of Algae bloom. If you maintain the high FC for a while and it clears, you'll know that was it. You might need to SLAM the pool if your FC drops pretty rapidly, and based on the history above, it might be a good idea. Can you tell us a little more, like have you had some Algae recently? Trying to get all the answers you need, but seeing what else may have been going on. Finally, may I ask what test kit you are using?

I would like to add with a CYA level of 50 the pool is still well below shock value, see my signature for the FC/CYA chart.

Stop adding CYA until the pool is clear.

You will most likely need to go through the SLAM process, but a little more information is needed. I would start off by raising the FC to shock level and running an OCLT to determine if there are organics, see my signature for the links.

I am using the TF-100 test kit from Taylor. I have not seen any signs of Algae but that may be because it is just beginning to start. I just noticed the cloudy while brushing issue about a week ago. Each time I brush the same spot it appears nothing has changed as far as the amount of "cloudy white stuff" that comes off the walls. The water is clear until brushed. It is not crystal clear because I can see very small particles floating around at night when the lights are on. I will go through the SLAM process and report back what happens. After the SLAM is complete should I continue to increase my CH level? I was going to try and bring it up to around 300.

thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.