New Owner/Builder, Los Angeles

Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles
I'm starting on a new owner build in the San Fernando Valley area of Los Angeles. I have the plans finalized and am looking to send them out for bidding. If anyone reading this has been down this road before in LA, I would love phone numbers for excavators and rebar guys to get a few bids on my project and get it rolling. Thanks!

Re: New Owner/Builder, Need Referrals for Subs

I can't help but welcome to TFP.

Thanks Casey for the welcome! I have been reading this forum for years and am looking forward to join the world of pool owners myself. So much good stuff to be found on this site, it's really amazing.

I also don't have local subs, but what I found was that you can get great referrals from the "neighboring" sub. By that I mean my shotcrete sub knew a couple of really good steel guys and plaster subs. The steel guys knew the excavators and the plumbers (they tend to cross paths a lot) and the plumbers often knew the electricians. Since the "neighbor" often sees the bare job, they tend to know when it's done right. My shotcrete sub has been shooting pools in the PHX area for 30 years and he was loads of help. He even talked me into some design changes and I am happy he did. Find a good shotcrete/gunite sub and start in the middle.

My 2c

Good luck!

I'm so glad you're sharing your build! I'm always impressed when I read about someone building their own pool!! I can hardly manage the small part I play in the pool build. I knew I had to have a pool builder!

Have you found the first round of subs you need? When you get a chance, post some pictures. Begin with your design. And let us know your specs - the signature area works well for that.

Come on back and catch us up. Take care! Suz.

So after much back and forth with the HOA and the city, we broke ground on May 26th. Since i have been reading this board for over two years now, i wanted to update TFP on the fun ride so far... so hopefully these pics come through ok.

IMG_3847%202_zpssi2mqsga.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I voted to demo the kid's playhouse, but lost that battle to basically everyone else in the family... I think it will turn out ok in the end.

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_3903_zps29a0aqj5.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_3930_zpsqcd7ez5p.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_3956_zpsinwjlvko.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_3968_zpseca5trqb.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_3961_zps1ramgwyd.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_3987_zpsvkvzssig.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_3971_zps8scapubv.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

After debating endlessly about whether to use shotcrete or gunite, i went with shotcrete...

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_4042_zpsdxjmy4op.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_4048_zpsko4llc8u.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_4061_zpscn7xizfv.jpg

Shotcrete is mixed with water and then shot onto the structure. It generally has larger aggregate and a rougher finish. Gunite is generally the same but the dry mixture is shot on the structure and water is mixed in at the gun as applied, It usually uses sand or fine aggregates.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It has been slow going lately. I was given the advice to wait three weeks before starting the coping/tiling to make sure no cracks developed, which luckily they did not. So all that time allowed me to change my mind a dozen times on the pool tiles and stacked stone. My wife and I finally found a compromise... and the materials were delivered today. I'm super excited with the tile we found...

IMG_4211_zps0ba96iju.jpg
[/URL]

- - - Updated - - -

The size of the pool is 28x14 with a 8x7 spa. Seems small, but it really fills up my backyard, so I couldn't imagine anything bigger. The depth is 3.5 to 7 feet in the deep end. Also will have a 5 foot sheer descent when all done.

That is going to look so clean and sleek. I'm excited for you! So these paving tiles are for your decking area? What's your coping going to be? And what kind of tiles are those? We are thinking about doing something similar for a small patio area after our pool is done so I'm surely interested.

The coping is going to be the same stone, just thicker. The pavers are one and a quarter inch thick travertine, 16x24. The coping will be two inches thick, and it is the holdup right now. Supposed to be delivered on Friday. I know a lot of people have reservations about travertine decking near a swimming pool, but i have had nothing but good experience with it, so it was right for us. I'll just seal it and keep my fingers crossed!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.