Couple questions for the first time pool owner.

lukeyn

Apr 15, 2015
Houston Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Universal40
A little bit of background.

Purchased the house in 2013 at a Sheriff's sale for a great price. Purchased home with a rehab loan, but just refinanced to a conventional 30 year. Had a lot of stuff to fix around the house so didn't worry about the pool for the first couple years.

The pool is around 36,000 gallons. Deep end is around 10 feet. Has two skimmers, main drain, and 5 jets.

I am currently in the process of re-piping all the lines. I decided to run individual lines at 1-1/2" to everything with ball valves. Running a timer to a 2hp pump and a Hayward 30in sand filter and a Hayward CL200 chlorinator. I am having a company come in and put in the liner.

Looking for pictures of peoples plumbing setups with ideas similar to mine. Also any feedback or help tips you can give to a young pool guy would be appreciated.

10355792_909778395747479_1445014058682816703_n.jpg

11079043_909778419080810_7069324620005004478_n.jpg

11148711_909778279080824_618133434747227040_n.jpg

10984614_10153170742655120_4223822212660195809_n.jpg

I agree with JasonLion...

I will throw a couple more recommendations at you.

Dont use ball valves. They have a habit of going bad, getting stuck, handles breaking. If you can swing a few extra dollars, upgrade to Jandy Neverlube Valves. You will love them and they last forever.

Also, consider scratching the inline chlorinator. The pucks you use in them will eventually lead to big problems with your pool water if you use them as your primary source of chlorine.
Consider either an automated liquid chlorine dosing system, a saltwater chlorine generator, or manually adding liquid chlorine.

Thanks for all the help guys.

My wife was taking the pictures while my buddy and I were hard at work so I was trying to give her grief in the photo.

The bottom of the shallow end is vermiculite? ? Gunite??? Not sure what its called, but either way it will need re-done. Its a 32x16 foot area. How much in materials would this cost to do?

Also, I am unable to run the main drain in 2" and I am trying to re-use as much skimmer pipe as possible so going up there probably is out of the question as well....I am hoping that running individual lines will aid in efficiency. I am going to wire up a new timer for the pump also, so not sure if running the system only for 8 hours will be enough to keep it clean.

I live in Ohio so not sure on the cost/payback from going to a salt water system. Our pool season is 3 months if we are lucky.

Once again, thanks for all the help.

I live in Ohio so not sure on the cost/payback from going to a salt water system. Our pool season is 3 months if we are lucky.
The discussion of a SWCG is not really about payback but about a more automated way to add chlorine besides pouring bleach daily. The cost in the end, over the life of the salt cell is about on par with the bleach itself...in the big picture.
Many people choose not to go with saltwater because of the softer stone they use around the pool being more susceptible to erosion from the salt deposits that accumulate as splash out dries on the stone.
Those who do not have that concern are generally quite happy. With them.
And the bleach pumps are the third preferred option of this site as mentioned above.

A little progress. Digging gravel is a pita. Also a picture of the shallow ends floor bottom. They are setting the liner in two to three weeks.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1429452954031.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1429452954031.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 503
  • uploadfromtaptalk1429452968131.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1429452968131.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 503
  • uploadfromtaptalk1429452980330.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1429452980330.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 504

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

having problems figuring out this website with tapatalk and adding pictures.

I purchased a small shed to keep the pump/filter/pool stuff in. About finished running pool lines.

Still no pictures of peoples pump plumbing setups!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HELP ME OUT!!!!!! Please :)

Pool liner was cut or measured wrong so I have to wait another week to get it installed. I finished plumbing up the pump house. I used unions where the equipment is at so I can blow the lines out during the winter. I think it turned out ok, I would change some things in the future, but it will work for now. I used 2" for all the equipment runs. 1-1/2" to the jets/skimmer/drain. Figured it would be a little more efficient. Only thing left is wiring up the pump to the timer and buying a auto cleaner. Looking into the generic kreepy krauly.

About finished with the pump house.

My wife and I decided on purchasing the Taylor kit and using the BBB method to manage our water. Liner should be installed Monday.

My wife and I decided on purchasing the Taylor kit and using the BBB method to manage our water. Liner should be installed Monday.
if that is the case, buy the TF100 test kit from tftestkits.net and do not put pucks in that inline chlorinator. You can use that for vacations, but not as your primary source of chlorine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.