Polaris moves when booster pump is OFF

Sandra B

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 8, 2011
Tulsa, OK
My Polaris (pressure side) has started slowly meandering around the pool when the booster pump is OFF. It works as expected when the pump is on, so no problems there. When the pump is OFF, it just slowly wanders around. The pressure connector in the pool has a steady stream of water exiting, though I thought it should not have ANY pressure when the booster pump is off? I don't recall it having pressure when I've removed it in the past, in fact I'd swear it did not. It is not high pressure, more like a heavy hose pressure, when the booster pump is off. The Polaris continues its journey until it comes to a stair or wall, and since it doesn't have enough oomph, it just stays there unless I pull it away and see what it does (for experimental purposes) in which case once there is no impediment in front of it, it continues its slow tour of the pool bottom. I am positive this is a relatively new thing.

The booster pump is dedicated, so the outlet line is directly from the booster pump into the ground--no valves, etc. The inlet line is a 1" or so PVC from the main pipe that goes back to the pool eyes. It's connected to my manual timer, and comes on once a day for an hour, then clicks back off, and works as expected at that time, running around the pool on steroids. The pump is not running at any other times. HOWEVER, a couple weeks ago the capacitor went out in the booster pump, and this seems to have started at that time. Although I admit that is also the same time, with the warming weather, that I really started paying attention to pool activities closely. Oh, and last fall I replumbed the PVC on the outlet side to fix a leak, but I put it back in the same way I took it apart--no valves, etc. That could be a red herring, but I don't know what might be useful.

Any problem seen as to why I seem to be getting water pressure when the booster pump is OFF?

I would expect some water flowing through the Polaris any time the main pump is on, but there shouldn't be enough water pressure to get it to actually move.

Is it possible that you have some valve somewhere on the return side of the plumbing closed, or partially closed, so that the filter pressure is higher than it usually is?

Well, now that you mention it Jason, I have a bubbler on my steps that I used to keep on higher, and at some point I turned it way down so it wouldn't really break the surface, just kind of move some water around, to help control pH rise.....I'll turn it back up tomorrow and see if that makes my Polaris slow it's step. Good thought! Thanks! I'll report back. If that's it, I can probably find that happy medium where all parts work in harmony, and the Polaris can get some rest.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.