Plumbing - what is this?

eli.d

Apr 15, 2015
Port Allen, LA
We are not the original owners of this pool, but have been caring for it successfully for about 9 years. We received a crash course from previous owners. 4 returns, no main drain, two skimmers.

We do not know what this spigot is or what happens if we turn it. We have bubbles in our return and are trying to determine where the air comes in the system at. This thing scares us. I can't remember why it is wrapped in electrical tape.[emoji15]

First picture is a closeup. Second shows its placement in the system.

e89220c32cda91ac40bc59c97e2041fc.jpg

ad3f68ecb7c1178d99c146708f6ad27f.jpg

Thanks in advance for any clues you can give me!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I assume the 2 red valves are for each of the skimmers. The valve in question is a 3rd suction line, but no idea what it would be for ... too small to be used for a vacuum.

That valve could certainly be the source of the air being sucked into the system. Likely the tape was a poor attempt to stop that.

Thanks! And thanks for the forum. We have struggled needlessly in the past. That's correct, the red valves correspond with our skimmers. A few pool guys have commented over the years about the lack of a main drain...would this line possibly be for adding that after the fact? If it is the source of the leak, would there be anything wrong with capping it?

No way that small pipe would have been for a floor drain.

I think I would try opening the valve and see what happens. But on the suction side, you may not be able to see anything happen.

Can you add a few pictures of the rest of the equipment and the pool?

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

I can not think of what it could be for. A fill line would be really odd to be plumbed like that.

Are there any fittings in the pool that do not seem to do anything? It could have previously been a pipe that was for a pressure side cleaner ... that was then re-plumbed into a suction line.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.