Feel Like I'm back @ Square 1 {Edited to say THANKS on pg 2}

graffster

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 19, 2008
I had just been bragging to my husband about how pretty the pool was looking, and now I'm dealing with a mud puddle! We got tremendous rains with Ike's outer bands over night, and here's what my pool looks like:
DSC04692.jpg

DSC04691.jpg

We have a SWG, but I know my salt is going to be all out of whack. Where do I start? What do I do? Hubby had just turned back pump run time to 6 hours as a cost cutting measure. I know i'm going to need to run it 24/7 for a while.

Help!!!

Re: I Feel Like I'm back at Square One

Oh Gee! I'm so sorry to see this. :shock:

Check your numbers and raise to a shock level with liquid bleach, brush, filter and back wash as needed until clear.

It's the only way that I know of. Once it clears, then bring TA, PH, salts ext into check.

Good luck! Looks like you need it!

Is there a "shock level" on the Aqualogic? I know it goes into 'Super Chlorinator' mode when I first add salt...will that do? Or should I just dump liquid chlorine in?

First, you need to test your water and post test results.

That said, don't use your SWG to super-chlorinate....use bleach. But you need to test first to know how much to add.

Do a full scope of tests? (The whole T-100?) I need to drain a little off the top...wait to test till after the water level is lower or right now?

What a mess.

Here's my numbers:

FC 1.5
CC 0
TC 1.5
pH 7.8
TA 70
CH 90
CYA 40
Salt 2450 (was 3400 5 days ago!)

I'm draining off the excess right now...it's to the top of the coping! I can't see the bottom of the pool, so I can't see how much debris is in there. Should I be running the pump non-stop till it's clean? And since my CYA is low (60 was the lowest number in the Chlorine/CYA chart), do I need to get that up beofre I dump bottles of Clorox in?

ACKKKKKKK!!!!! :shock: Just when I thought this was getting easy..................

graffster said:
Here's my numbers:

FC 1.5
CC 0
TC 1.5
pH 7.8
TA 70
CH 90
CYA 40
Salt 2450 (was 3400 5 days ago!)

I'm draining off the excess right now...it's to the top of the coping! I can't see the bottom of the pool, so I can't see how much debris is in there. Should I be running the pump non-stop till it's clean? And since my CYA is low (60 was the lowest number in the Chlorine/CYA chart), do I need to get that up beofre I dump bottles of Clorox in?

ACKKKKKKK!!!!! :shock: Just when I thought this was getting easy..................

I would suggest you add 8 gallons of 6% clorox....gallons...not jugs. Add it all at once, pump running. That should bring your FC to 24 oe so but it will drop pretty quiickly.

What you must do then is keep testing FC and adding enough clorox to get it back to about 20ppm FC each time you test.

You should read "Defeating Algae" and "Shocking your Pool" up in the "Pool School" section.....it'll really help you understand how to clear your pool quickly. Always remember, one dose of Clorox won't do it. Clearing your pool is a process, not an event.

Keep the FC in there and test and dose carefully and your pool will sparkle again soon.

Off the subject of your algae issue, you'll need to get your CH up soon and keep an eye on pH that it doesn't go above 7.8.

As you are aware, you need some more salt and CYA as well but get the chlorine in there first and then start working on the other issues (one at a time) while the chlorine works on the algae.

Yes, keep the pump running 24/7

Thanks, Dave. I'll get right on this!

You mention algae, but I know this is just dirt washed in from all the rain we've had. (not to say it won't GROW some algae!) Does that make my problem a little more manageble since it's dirt??

This is a GREAT forum! I'm so happy to have found it!

Kathy

Your FC level didn't go all the way to zero, and you are reporting mud not algae, so I don't think that you need to go quite as high on the FC as duraleigh suggests, though I agree with the rest of what he said. If you had any serious algae the FC level would have gone all the way to zero. You want the FC at shock level so that any algae hiding in the dirt gets killed and there is enough chlorine to deal with any other organics that need to get oxidized.

With CYA at 40, shocking to a FC level of 15 should be plenty. That would be just over 4 gallons of 6% bleach. If you start raising the CYA level right away, the SWG might well be able to keep up from there. If you can't add CYA right away you may need to supplement with a little more bleach each day till you do add CYA (or turn the percentage up temporarily).

You might as well start vacuuming the bottom, even if you can't see what you are doing. Keep an eye on the filter pressure while vacuuming. If you are picking up a lot of dirt, the filter pressure can go up quite quickly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Hmmmm. It sure looks like algae to me.

Does that pool have a greenish tint or am I seeing things that aren't there.

Dirt (runoff) will be muddy and I see no indication of that.

How did the dirt get in your pool? Is your landscaping such that runoff enters the pool? If so, that's an issue you will need to address....you don't want that each time it rains.

My suggestion remains to dose it with 8 gallons of 6% clorox. No harm will come from that dosage with a CYA of 40 and, time after time after time, the biggest problem folks have clearing a pool is not using enough chlorine.

Here are some better pictures of what it looked like "before" the rain (rain was coming down, so it was rather full):
DSC04680.jpg

DSC04681.jpg

Yes, we are having some landscape/paver/grading issues. Only a problem when we have those torrential downpours!

The pool is Tahoe blue pebble-tec (not that you can see that now!) But I'm quite certain at this point it's only dirt...and let's keep it that way!

Thanks for the help. I'll still need lots more, I'm sure!! :-D

Kathy

If that was taken before the rain, you need to drain some water. The water level on most pools should be halfway up the skimmer throat.....yours looks like it has covered the skimmer.

I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but chlorine (from a source other than your SWG) is what it will take to clear that pool unless I am badly misinterpreting the pics.

Yes, that water level is due to the rain. I've been draining over night, and still need to lose about 3"!

I'm on my way out this morning to get the Clorox. I'm sure I"ll need to backwash my filter (drat, I had just added CYA, too!)

I've got the Baracuda running and I'll keep that filter on. After I shock this morning, how long till I test it again? And then am I just testing for FC? Then after we get the dirt out, the FC right, THEN we start dealing with other numbers? :?

I'm afraid to look at our weather forecast...just in case there's more rain!

Thanks,
Kathy

After I shock this morning, how long till I test it again? And then am I just testing for FC? Then after we get the dirt out, the FC right, THEN we start dealing with other numbers?
You should read "Defeating Algae" and "Shocking your Pool" up in the "Pool School" section.....it'll really help you understand how to clear your pool quickly.

I just backwashed the filter...YUK!! Does that give a better idea of what I'm dealing with? (It looked like a mudslide when I put the hose to it!!!) (and yes, I had just cleaned it within the last month!)

DSC04697.jpg

DSC04698.jpg

Dumped my clorox in a couple of hours ago. I'll recheck my FC and post the results.

I just want to relax in a nice clean pool right now...

rechecked the FC and it's 7.5. So I need to add more Clorox? And keep this up until I reach a stable level (add, test, add, test...)

I put in 6 gallons of 6% bleach around 11 am. Then I tested around 2 and got the 7.5 FC reading. Then around 6 pm, I put in 3 gallons. (Used the shock value of 15 in the pool calc....figured that was midway between what you and JasonLion were recommending.)

As soon as I get the kiddos in bed, I'll test it again.

Did I answer your question? (This is all much like speaking Greek to me!)

:) Kathy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.