Houston Pool Builder Suggestions?

Mar 22, 2015
League City, TX
Split from original topic Here
Moderator Patrick B

Sunbaby,

Thanks for posting this topic. I am actually in the process of researching PBers in Houston trying to narrow the list to 5 or 6 that I will talk to. Anyone care to give POSITIVE comments on any of these builders? (If it's a negative please send me a private message). Moderators--Is okay to post this here? Please add a great builder that you recommend in Houston.

Richard's Total Backyard Solutions
Laguna Pools
Grand Isle Pools
Backyard Ammenities
Horizon Pools
Pineloch Pools Construction

I went by and talked to Anthony&Sylvan Pools today. I hadn't really considered them in my Top 10 list, but their office is right across the street from my house and I knew they were the biggest pool builder in the country so I figured I'd drop in.

The guy had a great spiel to pull me. Here are the highlights:

- Says they have the best warranty of anybody out there. He had a print out of all the competition's warranty info and why A&S has a better one. It was a compelling argument. It was also a little scary when he showed me the deficiencies of the warranties offered by all 5 of my current top 5 PBs. Good salesman or should I be worried?
- He only does chlorine pools. If a customer demands SWG then he makes them sign a waiver that voids the warranty on the pool and equipment. Eek! I had pretty much set my heart on SWG. What's up with this?

This is basically the first PB I've talked to and it was really just for me to get my feet wet prior to interviewing my top 5. But it has me thinking. Anyone have thoughts?

I went by and talked to Anthony&Sylvan Pools today. I hadn't really considered them in my Top 10 list, but their office is right across the street from my house and I knew they were the biggest pool builder in the country so I figured I'd drop in.

The guy had a great spiel to pull me. Here are the highlights:

- Says they have the best warranty of anybody out there. He had a print out of all the competition's warranty info and why A&S has a better one. It was a compelling argument. It was also a little scary when he showed me the deficiencies of the warranties offered by all 5 of my current top 5 PBs. Good salesman or should I be worried?
- He only does chlorine pools. If a customer demands SWG then he makes them sign a waiver that voids the warranty on the pool and equipment. Eek! I had pretty much set my heart on SWG. What's up with this?

This is basically the first PB I've talked to and it was really just for me to get my feet wet prior to interviewing my top 5. But it has me thinking. Anyone have thoughts?

Compare warranties between the others you interview to see if his salesmanship pitch holds water.

Tell him if he only does chlorine pools than a SWG should not be a problem ;) How long of a warranty does he offer on the equipment? I don't see how a SWG should void a warranty on the other equipment!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A&S did the same with us by talking down the competitors more than anything.

I heard when A&S merged there was horrendous warranty issues, and there still are even after they talked up their warranty.

We went with Precision out of Richmond. Not pushy, did what we asked and pleasant sales process. Most builders use the same contractors so the labor & material of most are identical. Good luck to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk flingin arras

Thanks Jabooh,

Warranty voids with SWG are very common. Not going to argue the validity of such, but many void various things on a pool build if you go that route.

Thanks y'all for the advice.

Patrick -- That's interesting that you mention that. I guess I didn't know that it was a common practice. Browsing this site it seems like a majority of people have been choosing SWG, or at least that what it seems to me. And I guess then that most do not have a problem with the possibility of some warrant voids.

This is a very interesting topic for me because I am right now at the point of deciding which way to go.

I felt I needed to take a shower after meeting with an unnamed builder for a quote. Chose a different route. But they did give us a price on the spot which was convenient.

I know SWGs are hugely popular in this forum so people must be happy with them, but we would never put one in and know of someone who built their pool that way and converted it due to all the issues.

Having talked with multiple pool builders my wife and I are leaning away from SWG. But we haven't even found a builder yet so everything is still on the table.

Here is our final list and any opinions are more than welcome:

(Pool and Patio/Kitchen) Richard's Total Backyard Solutions
(Pool Only) Laguna Pools
(Pool Only) Backyard Amenities
(Pool and Patio/Kitchen) Horizon Pools
(Patio/Kitchen only) Outdoor Homescapes

Any extra opinions are definitely welcome! Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.