Old Hayward DE filter clamp bolt and nut stripped

Since Hayward doesn't offer a fix for the broken/stripped bolt and clamp on their old DE filters other then to buy a new filter ($600) I had to come up with my own fix. it's pretty easy to get the old bolt out, just bend the metal and twist out the T bolt and the attached sleeve. Bend the sleeve that's around the T part of the bolt until the bolt comes out. Save the spring and thick SS washers. Here's the fix and it cost around $6. Buy a 6"- 5/16" stainless carriage bolt and grind or cut two opposite sides of the round head flush with the square part under the head. Slide the old sleeve back on and bend back (as much as possible) into place. Bend the metal on the filter clamp a little more and re-install the bolt. The bolt should slide through the other side of the of the filter clamp. Re-install washers and spring. Then get a 5/16" barrel nut (more threads) that fits the bolt. Couldn't find a SS one but also didn't look that hard. Also added a couple of regular 5/16" SS washers for the heck of it. The Hayward barrel nuts are available (pretty expensive) and then you would have to make sure your bolt thread pattern was the same. But I'm totally fine with my way. Good luck.

Attachments

• hayward 001.jpg
    hayward 001.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 222
Since Hayward doesn't offer a fix for the broken/stripped bolt and clamp on their old DE filters other then to buy a new filter ($600) I had to come up with my own fix. it's pretty easy to get the old bolt out, just bend the metal and twist out the T bolt and the attached sleeve. Bend the sleeve that's around the T part of the bolt until the bolt comes out. Save the spring and thick SS washers. Here's the fix and it cost around $6. Buy a 6"- 5/16" stainless carriage bolt and grind or cut two opposite sides of the round head flush with the square part under the head. Slide the old sleeve back on and bend back (as much as possible) into place. Bend the metal on the filter clamp a little more and re-install the bolt. The bolt should slide through the other side of the of the filter clamp. Re-install washers and spring. Then get a 5/16" barrel nut (more threads) that fits the bolt. Couldn't find a SS one but also didn't look that hard. Also added a couple of regular 5/16" SS washers for the heck of it. The Hayward barrel nuts are available (pretty expensive) and then you would have to make sure your bolt thread pattern was the same. But I'm totally fine with my way. Good luck.

I just followed this thread and did the same - worked a treat! Thanks for the tip.

Hi, I'm so happy I found this thread - since it's crazy to have to buy a new filter b/c of problems with the clamp bolt. I was wondering... what is the best way to cut the carriage bolt head. I made the mistake of using a dremel and the disc broke and probably could have really hurt me... sawing seems like it will be tough given how my vice works. Can a store help me cut it?
Thanks

Hope it's OK to revive this thread.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.