Piping for pump for laminars

grottoguy

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2014
NJ
I have a main drain in the pool that feeds a 2 inch pipe that goes to a Jandy 2 HP Pump (model number PHPM2.0). That pump connects via a 2 inch pipe to my grotto Jets and 2 Laminars (the two Laminars are probably about 40 feet apart from each other).

When they installed the piping (they are not done yet) they didn't have the Laminars and didn't know exactly where they were going, so from each two inch pipe going to the seperate Laminars they connected one inch flex pipe (which will run about ten feet toone Laminar and about 6-8 feet to the other) and enable me to put the Laminars anywhere in the vicinity. They could have turned the hard pipes 90 degeres and ran it to much closer to where the Laminars will be going.

I have two questions.

1. I've read on this fourm that flex pipe in the ground is not as good as hard pipe and can be eaten by termites. Also, will ten feet of one inch flex pipe negatively affect the flow of Laminars? Should I tell the PB to run a hard pipe as close as he can get to the Laminars, or is the 10 foot of flex pipe ok?

2. My contract called for a Jandy SWF125 pump. The PB substituted the PHPM2.0 on his own and told me afterwards (I hadn't even asked him about it yet) he did that because it is a better pump. The PB is usually a straight shooter, but just wanted to see if anyone had a different opinion.

Thanks

Anyone have any insight, particularly on question number 1? 1. I've read on this fourm that flex pipe in the ground is not as good as hard pipe and can be eaten by termites. Also, will ten feet of one inch flex pipe negatively affect the flow of Laminars? Should I tell the PB to run a hard pipe as close as he can get to the Laminars, or is the 10 foot of flex pipe ok?

Thanks

10' of flex PVC will not impact the water flow.

I just learned something new. I had no idea that termites could eat flex PVC. They do not consider it to be a food source but they will eat it to get through it if it is between their nest and their food source. I have used flex PVC in ponds for many years with no issues, even in termite prone Texas. Doesn't seem like a big risk, but it exists.

I am not familiar with either of those pumps.

Update:

My PB said he would run more hard pipe to the Laminars to shorten the amount of flex pipe needed. However, he forgot to do it when he was here the other day. Pooldv you said that 10 feet of flex pipe would not impact the flow to the Laminars, but I noticed that the actual length of flex pipe was about sixteen feet for one of the Laminars because it runs in a round about way (not a straight line). Would sixteen feet of (I think one inch) flex pipe have an effect on its flow? Should I make a point of having the PB run more hard pipe closer to the Laminars so that the flex pipe used is much less?

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.