My AGP & deck project

kjcole

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 3, 2008
Solon, Iowa
Not sure if this is the right place, here are pix of this summer's project (still underway).

Last fall I tore down a screened-in porch and a lower deck that spanned the space between the house and garage. Lot's of pressure treated lumber for me to re-use for the pool deck. Here's a picture after the spring dirt work, to bring the top of the pool just under the planned deck height.
eagleprojectandpoolbuild036.jpg

This spring we removed a lot of dirt, and planned for drainage away from the pool, consistent with the natural slope of the lot, through the spruce trees. We also broke a sewer line that revealed itself on Memorial Day, of course. Then our part of Iowa suffered biblical flooding and nothing more happened until well into June.
eagleprojectandpoolbuild034.jpg

My wife and I decided that we'd let a PB do the install, and I'd tackle the retaining walls and deck. The pool deck will completely surround the pool, and join with the remaining lower deck, which connects via stairway to the upper deck off the kitchen. My crew: me. To wife.."don't worry, I'll have this knocked out by the end of July. By August it'll be pool-party time" Not.
eagleprojectandpoolbuild040.jpg

eagleprojectandpoolbuild041.jpg

Pool and kids are in (and 68 degree water). No retaining walls. Never-ending rains.
eagleprojectandpoolbuild046.jpg

Retaining walls in (last time I moved railroad ties they were lighter), 19 footings (42 inch deep) dug and poured by hand, posts and beams nearly done. My teenaged sons were helpful, sort of.
eagleprojectandpoolbuild050.jpg

Joists almost done. Since we have a beaded liner, I decided that I wanted the deck to hide the top rail. I'll be cutting joists if I need to remove the top rail, but I planned the beams so that the joists can be sistered/bolted back together.
eagleprojectandpoolbuild051.jpg

eagleprojectandpoolbuild056.jpg

Here's where I'm at today. Solid vinyl decking (priced like solid gold). Filter and pump are under the corner of the deck where the screened porch used to be. Still need to cut access to the skimmer. Filter pump access will be from under the deck. Aquatrol panel will be mounted above the deck.
eagleprojectandpoolbuild063.jpg

Now about time to close the pool. Hope to finish the decking, install rails, steps and gate, and patch up the siding before the snow flies. Final pix then.

Kelly

The pool and decking look FAB but I have one question...

How are you going to cover it?

Are you going to somehow anchor the cover it to the deck?

The reason I ask is because my pool cover tightens around the pool with a cable thingy-mabobber.. what is that called... a winch type deal... :hammer:

So, I'm just curious.

Great Job, I know, I did my own deck for my inground pool, up in the cold north, no one could guarantee against cement cracking.

I wouldnt cover it at all in the winter, we leave ours open, let her freeze up like a rock, and there are no worries come spring, both neighbors have covers, and they are always complaining about having to take them off in the spring.

Again, great job!

TizMe,

I have a beaded liner, so as I understand it I can change the liner without removing the caps and rails (tell me I'm not wrong!). The PB said there should be no reason for me to remove the rails except for wanting to hang an accessory over the pool wall (I won't) or for a serious structural failure (I hope not! and the PB set the side supports in cement footings, not just resting on blocks). The bead channel that hangs over the wall is metal with a vinyl skirt, so it should last. But, if needed, I could pull decking up to get to the joists where they pass over a beam, cut the joists, and reassemble. A PITA, but nothing is impossible if you have a reciprocating saw, more lumber, and lot's of patience!

Kelly

Hi, Kelly,

As an avid DIYer, you have done a very, very nice job on that deck.

I see lot's of details in the framing and decking that you wouldn't get if you paid someone to do it.....Nice work!! :lol:

Thanks Dave. That means a lot to me. I lucked out by having a father who taught us that we could do anything if you took the time to learn about it first, and then just jump in and use good sense to solve the problems that pop up.

Kelly

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.