Auto-cover/Safety Cover Longevity, esp. UV Protection

Re: Auto-cover Longevity, esp. UV Protection

Hey, it's Ok to ask. Never bothers me, but I know some forums just hammer you when you ask something. That's what we're here for right?

Sorry, but I haven't heard of anything. I would tend to think they would build them out of resistant material, but sound logic doesn't always prevail.

I don't have an autocover and I'm not familiar with what they are made of. But, I have bad a few boats and they have all kinds of canvas and plastic materials that need protection from UV and saltwater. There are a plethora of products made to apply to these for protection.

I asked the technicians who installed mine (an aquamatic) what they recommend. For cleaning, they said to mix some dish soap in a 5 gallon bucket, throw that on the cover, and mop it around with a towel wrapped around a regular pool brush. Then rinse. They don't recommend any UV treatment or anything like that.

I've done the cleaning a couple times a year for four years since the install. I'm just now beginning to see a couple pinhole leaks, and a couple spots that look a little discolored. I suspect in a couple more years I'll need to replace it. It would be nice if there was something that could make them last a little longer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.