How long for PH to stabilize

txneener

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 11, 2015
McKinney, TX
First off, thanks for this site. It has been a life-saver in the first months of pool ownership.

My plaster was poured on December 1st. I know that I have read on multiple posts that curing plaster can cause the PH to rise, but how long does that process last?

I have been fighting rising PH since I first started testing (with the TF-100). I have a plastic cup that holds approximately 20 oz, so I usually add 1 of those per day of 8.25% bleach and 1 every other day of Muraiatic acid. I know my TA is low and a higher level would help stabilize, but I don't know that I want to risk raising my PH too much by adding baking soda if I am able to keep the numbers in line and this is just part of the process. If I skip the MA for 3-4 days, the PH goes to 7.8+ pretty consistently.

So far, I have added 64oz of baking soda (weeks ago) and have another box ready to go, but should I do it? Everything looks great with the pool and I think I have a good daily process, but I'm just looking to make it a little more trouble free and be able to not worry about things when gone for a few days at a time.

FC-3
PH 7.5
TA 60
CYA 40

You can leave TA at 60 for a while and see how it goes. Increasing TA could contribute even more to PH rise. It takes up to a year for plaster to cure and stop causing PH to rise.

Also, the more you run waterfalls and bubblers the more you PH will rise also.

Good first post! Good job on your signature and reading up on pool school! You are doing great!

Welcome! :wave:

My pool was a few years old when I moved in, so I have no idea how long it took mine to settle down.

According to the article in Pool School:
No matter what start-up procedure is used, your pool will consume a lot of acid during the first 6-12 months as the plaster finish continues to cure. It is important to test your pH daily and do not let it climb above 7.8. Be sure to continue to brush the pool at least weekly during this period.

Stock up when you go, you'll be needing to adjust pH for some time most likely. Pool shops sometimes have better prices, and smaller hardware stores usually have it for 7-8 dollars/Gal if you don't feel like the big Box store trek. I dread going the big stores sometimes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.