Pictures of our DIY AG pool and deck build!

*JLS*

LifeTime Supporter
May 12, 2014
Central Georgia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
If anyone has been contemplating installing an AG pool on their own, here's a few pics to show you can do it! It has been time consuming but well worth the $3000 we saved on just the pool install alone. Purchased the 27' x 54" pool online, installed it and then my husband built the deck! Installed the pool last year (April 2014) and finishing up the deck this year. We still have a little left to finish but we are definitely at a point now to just relax and enjoy our pool!
Prepping the ground. We did have the advantage of already owning the backhoe, but only needed it since we were installing on a hill.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

The deck n pool look great but why does the pool base look built up with sand in the 2nd pic down?

I think that picture may make it appear a little more built up than it actually was. the area inside the pool was compacted really well so I hope they did it correctly.
There is now a retaining wall on this side of the pool which was back filled and packed with dirt.

The pic looks like it is built up more the a few inches with sand. That's good you have a retaining wall on that side.

The pic looks like it is built up more the a few inches with sand. That's good you have a retaining wall on that side.

I tried telling my husband it would be best to not build it up AT ALL. I'm assuming, based on your question, that I was right. I haven't noticed any shifting in the year since we installed it but do you think that could have compromised the stability of the pool with it being built up at all?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I tried telling my husband it would be best to not build it up AT ALL. I'm assuming, based on your question, that I was right. I haven't noticed any shifting in the year since we installed it but do you think that could have compromised the stability of the pool with it being built up at all?

You never want to build up with sand! The only product suitable for build up is crusher because it it is as strong as concrete. You said you have a retaining wall on that side? It should help keep it but one never knows. I hope you will get lucky cuz the deck looks great!

Just imagine grabbing a handful of dry sand n gripping it. It is impossible too keep in your hand because it falls through your fingers and is completely unstable to build upon. Again, lets just hope the retaining wall n dirt is enough to keep it in place.,

You never want to build up with sand! The only product suitable for build up is crusher because it it is as strong as concrete. You said you have a retaining wall on that side? It should help keep it but one never knows. I hope you will get lucky cuz the deck looks great!

Just imagine grabbing a handful of dry sand n gripping it. It is impossible too keep in your hand because it falls through your fingers and is completely unstable to build upon. Again, lets just hope the retaining wall n dirt is enough to keep it in place.,

He also poured cement around the outside edges of the pavers that the uprights are sitting on, before covering with dirt. Certainly hope that's all enough, love the deck but more importantly my kids are in this pool a lot! I will definitely be doing regular inspections. Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.