completely clueless about pump choices

May 8, 2014
hope mills, nc
I need to purchase a new pump and am not sure where to start. I have a 24x54in round above ground pool with sand filter. Is 1hp good? 1.5 hp? From what i have read its borderline? 1speed or 2speed. What is the best brand? I live in NC and the swim season is long and summers are HOT. (not sure if that has anything to do with it or not but just in case) Thank you, as always

Assuming no spa, waterfall, or other water features: you want a 3/4 HP or smaller 1 HP two speed pump. 3/4 HP two speeds are rare, so usually you are forced to get a 1 HP. That will have the lowest lifetime cost and perform well with most pools, including yours.

Many members have the Power-flo Matrix as well for above ground pools ... they run on 115V, probably like your existing pump.
And definitely look at a 2-speed version.

BTW, what pump do you have have and why do you need to replace it?

I have a 3/4 hp 1 speed that the lid cracked on The basket cover. its 115v and it barely powered my hayward diver dave vacuum. We had a "pool guy" come last year to open up our pool and he said our pump was too small? Best i can see is its a splapool? There is no other brand indication ....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Great, thanks! One further thing, I am comparing both pumps recommended by the two guys who have helped me on this post. They both seem to be great choices. The pentair dynamo stated that it does not come with a cord? Will my current cord be interchangeable?

I don't see why it would not be. Although I have no experience with these. I think often it is recommend to replace cords (for example, just got a new dish washer and was told that the warranty was void if I used the old power cord and did not get a new one. No idea how the power cord could wear out or how they could enforce that)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.