Non copper based algaecide and metal remover

Donny

Feb 1, 2014
Upstate, NY
I recently installed a Hayward SWG and in the manual it states if the pool does NOT have new water, that I should add 1 quart of metal remover and 1 quart of a non copper based algaecide to ensure a quick troublefree transfer to the Aquarite system. What products do you recommend for this ?? Also I may have to drain/fill the pool a little to get the CYA down some. Thx

We discourage adding products "just in case". It is better to wait until you actually have a problem before adding some chemical. Anything you add could just as well cause problems as avoid problems, so best to only put in what you actually need to put in.

How did you test CYA? 100 is the top of the test range for most tests, including the TF100 test kit, so it is likely that it is much higher than that. No idea why the manual would suggest adding chemicals just cuz. That is definitely not how TFPC works.

How did you test CYA? 100 is the top of the test range for most tests, including the TF100 test kit, so it is likely that it is much higher than that. No idea why the manual would suggest adding chemicals just cuz. That is definitely not how TFPC works.
I used the TF 100. That could be a possibility. I definitely started out lower, around 80 if I remember correctly.

As pooldv points out, 100 is the limit of the CYA test, so you have to do a diluted test. While the full instructions are in the Pool School, here is the short version. Mix 50% pool water with 50% tap water. Use this mixed sample as your test water. If still at a 100 you will need to dilute more. Here is a great chart by JamesW to explain dilution rates and what you multiply the results by to get an approximation of your CYA level.

Pool water......Tap or distilled water.........Multiply result by

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm familiar with the steps needed to reduce my CYA and also what my water balance should be. I guess the question remains ? Why would the Hayward manual recommend the chemicals as asked above and lead you to believe it is necessary ???? Hmmm...

I guess the question remains ? Why would the Hayward manual recommend the chemicals as asked above and lead you to believe it is necessary ???? Hmmm...
There are many things in the pool industry that just keep going "because that's the way we always did it". Plus, what is a "metal remover"? No such thing that I know of.

In my year hanging around here I have noticed that many of the things suggested here are heresy to those "in the industry". I just roll with it myself.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm rolling Tim, I'm rolling LOL. Great info on this site really. Guys know their stuff. I found that out last year after the pool was finished. Talked to 3 or 4 local pool stores about chlorine levels and CYA, needless to say they had no idea what I was talking about!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.