Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Question 1:
I would like to change where my backwash goes. Currently I have one of those flat roll-up hoses that I attach and unroll each time I backwash. But the exit port is pointing right towards my house causing the area between the house and pool to get wet. Can I put in a 90 degree turn and use a PVC pipe to send the water through a perforated landscape drainage pipe? I wan't sure how the change in direction would affect the flow rate (if any). I assume that as long as the PVC pipe is the same diameter as the exit port, then that should be fine, right?

Question 2:
Anyone ever try to catch the backwash water to use for watering flowerbeds or gardens? I fell bad just wasting all that perfectly good (slightly dirty) water. I wonder if I could store it in a rain barrel (like this one: http://goo.gl/btgZTG).

Anyone care to share their plumbing setup for backwash?

Last edited:
It's fine to turn the backwash a different direction as long as you use the proper diameter piping and fittings.

I don't recall anyone 'catching' the backwash water, but I don't think it'd be a problem. Once caught the FC would drop to zero pretty quickly, so it wouldn't hurt any plants.

I have my flex hose (like yours) fitted with a female camloc on the end and a male on the outlet. With the flex hose, I move it wherever I want to water trees/lawn. I can snap a pic of this sometime. It never leaks or sprays out anywhere, very easy to connect and remove with no troubles.

I have my flex hose (like yours) fitted with a female camloc on the end and a male on the outlet.

Like this?:
4121qjJ-%2BCL._SX425_.jpg

http://goo.gl/0UT7Bd

That would be great. Currently I have to hold the hose on with one hand while back-washing to prevent it from popping off.

Exactly. You can do it how you like, mine just happens to be female (that one) on my hose end. One will need a thread end...whichever you install on the system piping. Get a 2" camloc for this. Holding the hose end on there is for the birds!

Not sure but I think the backwash discharge opening is the same diameter as 1.5" pvc pipe so a 90 would glue directly to it. Mine is hard-plumbed but I cannot remember (I'm not there right now) just what fittings were used but I know it's all glued pvc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mine already has a threaded adapter that looks a little like this

026497007032lg.jpg

I will try to take a picture of it later today when I get home. Not very handy and I don't really have the correct vocabulary either.

No problem, we'll help you.

That is called a barb fitting. Two sizes on that one. If it's already there and big enough, you can hose clamp your backwash tube to it if you like. All you'd need then is the hose clamp.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.