Pretty much a new guy to the inground pool world. Renovation starts this week.

Jul 21, 2013
Philly
Okay this will be my third year having a pool. It is a 40 yesr old sylan pool and we are having it renovated starting this week by anthony and sylvan. We bought the house with it and for the last two years i have been using leslies. So with the renovation coming up and i will be a plaster with quartz finish now instead of painted concrete i figured it was best to come back on this board and start reading the pool school. I will be needing your guys help as it seems it is best to do your own testing and adding chemicals from what i read on tfp.

So far let me see if i have this right, it is best to use bleach/liquid chlorine then any of the other granular or powder chlorine?
Also 3" pucks are not needed if you use bleach so you do not raise the cya and make the chlorine inaffective?
Also i wasnt sure which is the best test kit i should buy from the comparison chart and i will need help learning how to test. Any links are much appreciated. I will be sticking around this time as i want to protect our pool investment and learn to do it myself with the help of tfp. Thanks guys.

Alright, welcome back to TFP. Good job on the signature and location.

You've got the basics correct on using bleach/liquid chlorine vs pucks. You can use pucks when going on vacation as long as you test and manage you CYA level. It is very important to maintain CYA level in your pool and pucks is one way to add CYA to your pool when you need it, the other is granular CYA in a sock in your skimmer basket. Alternatively you can use a saltwater chlorine generator, here is a link on How to Chlorinate Your Pool.

Here is some info on test kits, my preference is TF100, Test Kit Comparison

Here is a summary on water chemistry, ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here is a page showing what the recommended levels are for your pool, Recommended Levels

And finally, here is a calculator to help you determine how much and what to add to maintain those levels, Pool Calculator Instructions

What about the phosfree stuff for algae? I have seen no mention of that in the pool school. Am i correct on my reading that if you maintain proper fc levels then you should not have algae problems therefore no need for phos free?

Yes, you are learning fast. The TF100 is a repackaged kit of the same reagents in the taylor k2006. It costs more up front, but less in the long run (which could easily be one season) because it has more reagents of those you use frequently. Like Free Chlorine. K2006 ends up costing more replacing the reagents.

Welcome to TFP! Enjoy your time on the forum.

Thanks so far guys. I am gonna order the tf100 kit this weekend. As far as my renovation goes ill keep ya updated with pics as we are taking them with a drone from up above. Just took the cover off so ill post the before pic that i have already.

Pool and yard was left abandoned. Got the pool up and running and replaced all the equipment for new as i am a plumber so i had some know how to there. We took down 28 trees in the back yard and eventually got some grass.

- - - Updated - - -

Heres is the before renovation pic from the drone up above

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
O it was a swamp lol. I just dont have any of the swamp pics. I just drained it and scrubbed it with acid and water. It has missing tiles, 8 layers of paint chipping, and all the decking has dropped around it. So we are doing a full renovation... Tile, plaster with quartz, cantilever deck stamped stained concrete, led light, new skimmer and plumbing.

Thanks so far guys. I am gonna order the tf100 kit this weekend. As far as my renovation goes ill keep ya updated with pics as we are taking them with a drone from up above. Just took the cover off so ill post the before pic that i have already.
I think I heard that their free shipping offer ends today or tomorrow. Just an FYI.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.