Replacing Single Speed with 2 Speed Pump

RUSigX

Aug 28, 2013
Lake Wylie, SC
Hi, my pool guy installed a new pump when I moved into the house about a year and a half ago as I knew nothing about pools and the old pump was locked up. He replaced the old Hayward Super Pump with a Centurion Century B229SE which is a single speed 1.5 HP pump. With minimal use (pool is closed in the winter) this pump is now whining like crazy so I'm pretty sure I've got a bad front or rear bearing or both. I'm pretty upset about this pump already needing attention as in my mind it's still new. Needless to say I either need a new pump or to rebuild the current pump myself.

After doing some reading I thought it might be wise to just go ahead and switch to a 2 speed pump and then rebuild my old single speed and keep it as a backup. Current pump is a 115/220 Volt, I think it's running off 220 and it is a Y56J frame and 1.5 HP.

What is an affordable two speed pump to purchase that is equivalent to 1.5HP, just looking for suggestions to a good, affordable pump. In my reading it looks like I would also need to buy a Intermatic T106(?) timer to add between my current timer and the current single speed pump?

Pool currently runs on two timers, one for main pump and other for pool cleaner pump. Wiring, 2 speed pump, etc advice appreciated!

You do not need a new "pump". You just need to replace the motor with a 2-speed version. There is also really no reason to have the 2-speed automatically switch on a timer. Just leave it on low speed and manual change it when you need high speed.

Ok, seems I need more education on the subject. Yes you are correct, I do only need the motor and did not plan on replacing the pump but just the motor. My understanding was that to make the two speed motor work correctly I needed a timer that had the additional wire so you could go from one speed to the other.

If I were to install a new 2 speed motor, how could I manually changed the speed when needed if the motor is wired like the old single speed with no additional wire? Hope that makes sense.

The only time you need a timer specifically designed for a two speed pump is if you have some specific need for high speed each day, like a pool cleaner powered by the main pump.

An ordinary pool has no reason to run at high speed except manual vacuuming or priming the pump, both of which you will be around to manually change the speed.

After doing some more reading I found that some 2 speed motors have a High-Low switch on the motor itself. I think it would be the easiest to just buy a motor that has this switch built in and wire the motor with my existing wiring and timer.

If the pool requires a 1.5HP motor now, what comparable motor would I buy in a 2 speed? Another 1.5HP? My pool does have two small waterfall like features that are always on, they just pour water out of two flat 15-18" grids.

You just add a toggle switch between the timer and the motor. A 3-way home light switch works well. You are correct you will have to add another wire from the switch to the motor.

Or, often you can buy a toggle switch that mounts directly on the back of the motor. Then the wiring from the timer to the motor is the same, but the connects you make in the motor a slightly different to hook up the switch.

I am thinking of buying the AO Smith STS1152R which is a 1.5 HP 2 speed motor and also purchasing the rear motor plate that has the built in switch for high and low. This way I dont have to run any new external wires for a new switch and can change the speeds manually. This should work, correct?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.