Filling pool with hot water?

My pool is being refinished starting in may, meaning in june I will be set to be filling it back up. I have no pool heater, but I do have a tankless hot water heater.

Using the calculator here: http://www.zodiacpoolsystems.com/Energy-Center/Calculators/Pool-Heater-Cost.aspx , I found that it would only cost around $50 bucks to fill the pool with 80 degree water, instead of the 55 degree ground water.

Has anyone ever done this? I feel like running my hot water heater for a couple days straight will probably **** it out. Right now just with a cover the pool is about 70, I will be installing some solar panels too but I cant fit as much as I will like, probably about 75% of the pool sqft.

I am just concerned that it may take a month or more to get the water up to a decent temp, by which time it will already be the end of june, but I do know that when the water is cold I will get quite a bit of heat gain per day due to the temperature differential.

Those units are not designed to be used like this. You will be running it for hours and hours and could potentially ruin the unit. It isn't advisable to do this.

I have seen hydronic heating guys use tankless heaters to run heat in a house during contstruction untill the boiler system is installed. They run these heaters for years, and they almost never turn off. I am not sure why it would ruin it, but if you are in a area of high calcium you may need to descale it when you are done.

Many health clubs use standard tankless units and they run for hours on end.

ha, you need to rethink this. Right now the pool is 71, and we have been getting temps down in the 40's

OK, then it will cool down to 71 deg in a couple of days. The ground temp and the daytime temps in your area is probably what is helping keep it that warm. Heat loss is a function of evaporation for the most part. Conduction thru the ground is the other component. If the daytime temps are higher than the pool temp the heat loss will not happen. (you will have gain) However, if the overnight (cooler) temps are lower than the pool water temp then the evaporation will be higher and more heat loss will occur. This is why solar covers are good at keeping heat in a pool over night. It slows the evaporation process and the air pockets provide a small amount of insulation value. Once the ground temp around the pool gets up to the temp of the water thru conduction, the "heat sink" ability of the ground will also help stabilize the water temp

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.