Decking demo (fiberglass pool)

Sep 24, 2013
Santa Rosa, CA
We are working on a backyard remodel and have hit a small snag. We want extend the concrete deck around our fiberglass pool and make it flush with the top of the coping (1 1/2" below now). One contractors no bid (without seeing the site) the work due to fears of cracking the pool. A local fiberglass pool installer flat out said we would be crazy to remove the deck. The company who resurfaced the pool a couple years ago have a bid in but the price is very high. So are we nuts or should we just expand without removing the old deck and put an overlay on top? Thoughts??

Thanks,
Chris

Your description should answer a lot of your question. One installer no bid, another your crazy to do it, the third bid is really expensive. The third guy is doing cya, if something bad happens you have already paid to fix it that way. Fiberglass deck is tricky. If the original deck was done correctly it is tied to the pool shell and could damage the shell.

We are still working on it but here are a couple of pics...

We want to expand the decking (33") to the fence (+48") so that we have a place to put some deck chairs
IMG_20150415_174324983_HDR.jpg

This pic show the pool coping better... its about 1 1/2" above the decking
IMG_20150415_174313770_HDR.jpg

Here is the completed backyard plan
IMG_20150406_182911277.jpg

I think pavers as well. This looks like an easy DIY job. I did something similar to my fiberglass pool a few years ago but used flagstone : http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...lagstoning-around-(and-on)-my-fiberglass-pool . I would: rent a cement saw and cut a joint in the existing deck all the way around the pool about a foot out. Find a cantilever coping that you like. The joint should be where that coping ends on the existing deck. Drill into the 1ft cement collar at intervals and put some small rebar "L's" into the holes. frame it up and pour a layer of cement so that the new collar is flush with the top of the pool. (I would pressure wash the old collar first and use a cement bonding agent when pouring the new collar.) Make the top of the new collar rough cement by brushing as it sets. After it completely dries, mortar in your cantilever coping and grout. Pack road base behind and paver out as far as you wish. You can also pour a collar on the outside edge of the proposed deck if you wish to mortar in the outside row of pavers. Easy Peasy. Concerns: hitting a pipe or electrical when using the cement saw. Should not be very likely but you never know. I would stay shallow with the saw and then run the pump after the cut is done to see if you get any water along the cut line.

Thank you to everyone for the reply's as they have help a great deal. Keithw thanks for your suggestions on how to construct the collar. Since we have flagstone accents through out the backyard the plans is to create flagstone collar.

Next step is to decide on a cover!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.