Intex Sand Filter vs. Intex Cartridge Filter (with Unicel filter) for 18x48 AG pool?

Apr 4, 2015
Western, WA
Hello,

Starting ground prep for a new 18'x48" Intex Ultra frame. I was planning on getting the 2800 GPH Intex sand fileter/pump combo for $136 delivered from Amazon. However, the 'school' portion of this site says that cartridge filters can be better. In know the Intex cartridges have a bad reputation, but I understand that the Unicel brand are great. My question is, the 2800 GPH sand filter or an 2500 GHP Intex cartridge filter with Unicel filters--which would serve me better? The pricing is close enough, that cost isn't a factor for me. I just want to get what is best both in filtering ability and longevity.

2800 GPH Intex Sand Filter, $136 + sand: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GSPHS1U/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2XRBACFNARGQQ&coliid=I2D14EN2EPXKIY&psc=1
2500 GPH Intex cartridge filter, $95 + filters: http://www.amazon.com/Intex-Krystal-Klear-2500-Filter/dp/B005MHZ5HY/ref=sr_1_4?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1428888139&sr=1-4&keywords=intex+pump

The pool will come with a 1,500 GPH cartridge filter, but I'm planning on not even using it.

I'm leaning toward getting the sand filter.

Thanks for any thoughts that I should consider.

Jason

From what I have read here the Intex sand filter is quite a bit better than the Intex cartridge filter. But, I have no first hand knowledge.

Congrats on the new pool!

Sand filter.

The 2500 carts don't allow enough flow rate as it comes from the factory. With the cart filter, you'll need to have extra carts on hand soaking in cleaning solution for a quick change out when dirty.

You will lose less pool water with the carts, but that is offset by the greater use of water for rinsing the carts.

I've used both - sand filter all the way. Less hassle and does a better job in my opinion.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.