Aquabug just sulks in the corner

jmcdtucson

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 12, 2014
Flagstaff, AZ
Pool Size
I bought a new Hayward Aquabug. It worked one time, now it just makes a beeline for the corner and sits there and sulks.
Thought it was the pump pressure - it was running about 5. But after clearing my outflow strainer the pump is back running at 10psi and still the aquabug does nothing but sulk in the corner.
Any ideas? I have a good pump, no air in the strainer, leaf canister is clear, ring on the aquabug spins freely.

The problem could be that the cleaner is trying to fight against the underwater current. I've experienced this problem. I'm currently using a Pentair Kreepy Krauly Lil Shark (a cheap unit). It works great for the price but can stall if the turn radius setting is too straight. Supplied with the cleaner was a special return fitting that limits the circulation. I don't use it. I like my homemade 90 degree PVC fitting job. Even at the full 1.5" opening I still get a strong circulation if I point the elbow to be almost level (slightly breaking the water surface). Adding a fitting that decreases the jet to .75" gives my pool almost too much current for the cleaner to work properly unless It's pointed down at a strong angle.

Good Day, the Aqua Bug has not worked well with many of the Intex systems. 2450 GPH means approximately 40 gpm in a perfect world. With back pressure and dirty filter I have not seen this cleaner work well with Intex systems.

I assume an Aquabug will get caught on the wall's bottom edge/berm, the bug will climb the wall slightly and then be stuck where it's little feet cannot move it off the wall.

With a straight walled pool, the black ring allows the bug to reorient and move off the wall. The cove at the bottom of the wall is pretty sharp and will not allow the bug to climb.

The problem could be that the cleaner is trying to fight against the underwater current. I've experienced this problem. I'm currently using a Pentair Kreepy Krauly Lil Shark (a cheap unit). It works great for the price but can stall if the turn radius setting is too straight. Supplied with the cleaner was a special return fitting that limits the circulation. I don't use it. I like my homemade 90 degree PVC fitting job. Even at the full 1.5" opening I still get a strong circulation if I point the elbow to be almost level (slightly breaking the water surface). Adding a fitting that decreases the jet to .75" gives my pool almost too much current for the cleaner to work properly unless It's pointed down at a strong angle.

Hey! I thought I was the only one with the 1.5" elbow return. Tried an eyeball. Didn't like it. I love my whirlpool. Will have to keep this in mind if I ever go looking for vacuums!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey! I thought I was the only one with the 1.5" elbow return. Tried an eyeball. Didn't like it. I love my whirlpool. Will have to keep this in mind if I ever go looking for vacuums!

Hi, you're not far from me. I'm in Deep Creek. I don't know what the fitting was called that fits tight into the 90 to reduce it to 3/4" but yes, it turns my pool into a whirlpool too. If I let my body sink with just enough air in my lungs the current will nudge me along.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.