Levels for just opened pool

ckk81

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 1, 2015
Kalamazoo MI
Been lurking for awhile, but now I need some info.:p

Where I believe I'm at. (from the TFT 100)
FC .5
CC .5
PH 7.5
TA 120-130 (hard for me to say)
CYA 0 (the water didn't appear to change at all during the test.)
Salt 1800-2000
Temp 49F
Where to start?

Welcome to TFP!

Add 2 ppm of chlorine each evening until 24 hours after adding CYA, then switch to targeting the FC appropriate for your CYA level. Of course you can switch over the the SWG as soon as it is working, but don't leave the pool without chlorine in the meantime.

Raise CYA to around 50 to start, wait a week to see where that level ends up, and then adjust to around 80 from there.

Adjust salt to around 3,000. Wait until the water gets up to 60 and the AquaRite is running and cross check the level with the AquaRite. Then adjust to around 3,500.

Your salt is probably low for your SWCG, it probably wants salt around 3000-3400. Check your manual and raise salt to the lower end of the scale first so you don't overshoot. It takes 24-48 hours for salt to fully dissolve and register on the test. How did you test it? Is your swcg making salt yet? Or is it giving a low salt error? Temp might be a little low to start up swcg just yet. You need to use bleach until the swcg starts to make chlorine. I use plain concentrated 8.25% store brand from the grocery store. Unscented and no additives or easy pour.

Your CYA is low, it needs to be 60-80ppm. Raise it to 50ppm or so first and confirm and then add more. It takes a week for granular CYA to fully dissolve and register in the test. You do not want to raise it too much or you will have to drain water to dilute it. I use kemtek granular CYA from Lowes, it is called stabilizer.

Here is some stuff to read to help start understanding how to manage your pool.
Here is some basic water chemistry info. ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
How are you testing your water? Test Kit Comparison
Here are recommend levels for a saltwater pool. Water Balance for SWCGs
Here is a link to poolmath to help you calculate how much stuff to add to your pool to get to the correct levels. PoolMath

TMI??? Come back and ask more questions. :)

Good job on your first post with location signature and test results! :goodjob:

Thanks guys! Just added 242oz of 8.25% bleach, which I figured should put me around 5fc. I'll grab stabilizer tomorrow and add enough to get my CYA to 50. Sound good? I'll also work on bumping up the salt along with my test the cell is complaining about low salt. How cold is too cold for the SWG to be effective?

You should only add 2 ppm of chlorine each evening until 24 hours after you add CYA. Adding more could cause problems, and is best avoided.

The SWG won't run at all below 50 and is limited in what it can do between 50 and 60.

Ok the latest.

FC 0
CC 0 (It was fairly sunny today if that matters)
PH 7.2
TA 120-130 (hard for me to say)
CYA ---previous day 0 (just added 6.5lbs about 6 hours ago)

As stated before last night I added 242 of 8.25% bleach.

Should I dump another 121 in tonight? I live in fear of the pool turning green on me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok status report.

Added 242 of 8.25% bleach around noon today. (I know-- too much.)
Also added a gallon of "liquid" stabilizer.

Added about 5:45pm 50lbs of salt.

Test results from sample taken at 8:30pm.

Water temp 50f
PH 7.3
FC 12 :)oops:)
CC .5 (maybe zero)
TA 140-150
CYA 40 (tough to say--also remember added 6.5lbs of granular just yesterday)
Salt 2200 (but probably not all dissolved)

Guess I should slow my roll on the bleach?

Your TA will change, but in small increments. It won't chage all at once using the guidelines we suggest. If you follow those, it will take some time as intended. Moving it too far at once also moves your pH too low in one whack. Which you want to avoid. At a 140-150 TA expect it to take weeks, not days. You can make some headway in a couple of weeks though. The amount of aeration you have can speed the process. More aeration, means faster rise on the pH. Once you get it back up, repeat until you reach desired TA. The SWG also speeds the process as well.

It looks pretty clear to me. I think tomorrow I'll keep an eye on the chlorine and let the salt and CYA settle in for awhile. Should I be thinking about lowering the TA?

CYA takes a week to fully dissolve and register on the test. I like to give salt 48 hours. Take them up slowly, you don't want to overshoot on these or you can end up having to drain water.

You are doing great, you'll be an expert in no time! :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.