Bullfrogs driving me crazy

stev32k

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2009
Mobile, Alabama
Had the liner in the pool replaced on March 23. It filled up and I started the pumps on March 25. Every day since then - I mean every day - there have been from 1 to 3 bullfrogs in the pool every morning. We live about 1/4 mile from a swamp so we get a lot of wildlife from time to time, but this has been an explosion of frogs. The little devils are hard to catch. I have to chase them around the pool with the net until they wear down. My wife would have a fit if I killed them so I take them to the swamp where they belong. I kinda wonder if the same ones keep coming back. They are all about the same size (maybe big as a half dollar), but there is no real way to tell.

LOL! Mental image of someone running circles around the pool with a butterfly net to catch a frog. Thanks for the giggle!

Oh, and tie a small colored thread around an ankle (do frogs even have ankles???) and check the next day to see if he/she returns. ;-)

I can relate. A few days after I took the cover off of our pool a few weeks ago, I fished 18 frogs out of the pool! We have a small pond about 20-30 feet from the pool, so I just dumped them in the pond. The next few days there were anywhere from 2-8 each day, I just kept taking them to the pond. After a few days of that, we've been frog-free.

Those guys can definitely be hard to catch, though...

Russ

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I tried the frog log about two years ago and it didn't seem to work very well for the bullfrogs. Some of the toads and bugs would climb out but not the true frogs. True frogs don't want to leave the pool - the frog log just gave them a place to sit.

I had a pair of froglogs a couple of years ago and seemed to have a lot less frogs to fish out. They got in the way and splashed around when playing in the pool. Then we had a friend's barndog over here for a couple of month and he ate them! I haven't replaced them. It's been so dry here that I think the frogs left to move closer to the lake or something. Maybe with all the rain this year they will be back and I will buy some more.

I "built" a "handicap ramp" out of a piece of styrofoam about 20 inches long that I taped down to the coping and let the other end float in the pool.

It seemed to be about 60-70% effective for my particular collection....mostly toads but some frogs.

I guess my resident bullfrog from last year is back. He was in the pool last night. I wonder if the floating thermometer people make a Large Mouth Bass one instead of the yellow duck? Use it sort of like a scare crow. I wonder if that would work? LOL

In addition to the bullfrogs there has been a hatch of box turtles. There was one in the pool yesterday that was the size of a quarter. When I pulled him out the shell was soft and pliable. I've never seen one that small before. Later I saw another one about the same size walking on the driveway. He was also about as big around as a quarter and had a very soft shell. They must have just hatched because the shell was so soft and they are so small.

Thank god I don't have frogs and turtles. The bane of my pool life is spiders (huge ones!), earth worms, and a couple of mice. Every morning, I am fishing out 4 or 5 spiders and a dozen or more worms. Maybe I should open a bait shop.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.