Help, floating liner

adrob2

Jul 9, 2014
Chapel Hill, NC
All,

This my second season with a pool. When I opened it this weekend I found a significant portion of the liner floating, mainly along the walls approximately 2-3 feet below the water line. I drained about 6-8 inches of water when I closed last November. I believe the liner is approximately 10 yrs old based on records left at the house. Can I "fix" this enough to get by for a couple of more years before replacement of the liner, and if so how? I do have a "Cyclone" blower I used to clear the lines when closing, although I doubt that will help as this feels like water behind the liner. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Attached are photos.

Have you had a lot of rain recently? Is your pool completely full, its a little hard to tell in the photos. Do you have a well point near your pool? Most likely this is ground water that will eventually drain away from the pool. Its not a problem caused by your liner.

The pool is about 7-8 inches below full. There is not a well point near the pool that I know of, although maybe I should look harder. What do I check for? Should I try and take the liner out of the track and pump water from behind it? Yes, we have had quite a bit of rain lately, although I had the cover off in February and noticed this problem then too. Thanks.

Liners float because the local water table is above the surface of the water in the pool. The easiest way to prevent, or stop, floating is to raise the water level in the pool as high as possible.

Raise the water level slowly and watch to see if the liner goes back into place. It is much easier to encourage the liner back into position while you are right near floating than it will be later.

Some people have well points with sump pumps, or special drainage systems, to lower the local ground water height. If you have something like that, it can be used instead of raising the water level in the pool.

I've raised the water level and the liner is looking like it did last year! Thanks for the advice. Does this mean that I drained too much for closing, should I drain less when closing at the end of this season? I drained about 8 inches, not far below the bottom of the skimmers. I was actually worried that I should have drained more before closing. Thanks again for your help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.