Getting a new pool.... DIY or dealer install of the SWG/Controller?

Mar 8, 2015
PITTSBURGH
Hey Everyone,

First post here, as I'm just getting to break ground on our new pool. It's going to be a relatively small 13,000 gal vinyl lined pool. I wanted to get some feedback from this awesome community because it seems like the pool company is really trying to squeeze us on the "upgrades". They're charging us $2200 to go to the SWG system, and then want to charge an additional $1000 to upgrade to the PS4 system (they are using all Hayward products). Our pool will be pretty basic with a Heater, variable speed pump, no spa, 3 fountains which would be run in unison (don't need separate controls), and LEDS.

My question is, that it seems like on Amazon I can get the Hayward PL-Plus system, for $900, which appears to be all I need to both control the pumps/valves etc, and also includes the SWG. I am relatively handy, so I can't imagine it being too hard to install myself. Is the pool company insane in their pricing, or is there something else I'm missing that I would need above just the PL-Plus system that the pool company would be supplying? At this point, I'm thinking of just telling them to install the basic system, and I'll update in the next few months.

Any input on this would be Greatly appreciated, since we will have to be making these decisions soon.

Thanks in Advance.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

That cost for a SWG + the automation is a bit high in my mind. Although you are not comparing things quite correctly. And you give no information about the specific components that they were quoting.

The ProLogic PS4 is a little more advanced than the ProLogic P4 / PL-Plus controller. So there is some cost difference there. If you are going to have the Hayward colored lights, I do not think the P4 support them.

I can not tell you if the P4 is sufficient since I have no idea what kind of control you will will need since I do not know anything about your pool.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Thanks for the quick reply.

They are quoting me the ps4 system, and the aquarite Swg system. The led lights are made by PAL

According to my installer, the only reason that they suggested I go with the ps4 over p4 was to get the freeze protect since I plan on using the pool year round. Though I talked with another employee at that company, and they thought the p4 also had freeze protect.

It seems to me that regardless, I should save the $3200 and just upgrade myself, wouldn't you think?

P4 does have freeze protection.

With the P4 or the PS4 ... all you need to add for the SWG is the cell which is < $500 because it has the SWG controller built into the automation system.

Would be a lot cheaper to do it yourself ... although you may want to check the warranty implication of that.

P4 does have freeze protection.

With the P4 or the PS4 ... all you need to add for the SWG is the cell which is < $500 because it has the SWG controller built into the automation system.

Would be a lot cheaper to do it yourself ... although you may want to check the warranty implication of that.

Yes, I believe most of the automation systems don't have warranty if you install yourself, but then for the 3200 his pol builder wants, 1400 for automation and cell, he could buy another one if it did fail. And likely could replace some parts without buying another one.

The question really comes down to if you feel comfortable installing it. Electrical work typically isn't cheap son unless you can just remove the presumably mechanical timer and use the wires from there, you could be looking at 300 or more to wire it up. I'm assuming you'll have a gas heater so that should make it easier, but I will admit the pool light wiring I still don't fully comprehend and I would guess that would make it fairly more complicated to get that wired into the automation after the fact.

My Hayward Aquarite T15 was 899 from Amazon. I mean did you get several quotes from different builders ??? 3200 yikes!

Yes, I got quotes from 3 different builders and the grand total was more or less the same, so we picked the most reputable. I'm assuming they were playing the whole "we'll make our money on the up-sell", which is why I'm considering DIY.

I'm really not scared at all about the electrical aspects. I'm an engineer, so I'm pretty sure that I can figure it out. As far as warranty goes, I went through their warranty, and as long as it's installed properly, the warranty is valid. Of course if I screw something up which frys the unit, I'm on the hook, but as mentioned, the money I'm saving means I can buy another one if this does happen and still be ahead.

I did a DIY install. It took me a couple of days, rather than the hour to hour and a half it would have taken a professional installer, but it wasn't especially difficult. The most annoying thing is that there kept being parts it needed that I hadn't bought, so I would go buy them, only to discover more trivial things I needed after another half hour. Aside from that, it went smoothly.

Yes, I got quotes from 3 different builders and the grand total was more or less the same, so we picked the most reputable. I'm assuming they were playing the whole "we'll make our money on the up-sell", which is why I'm considering DIY.

I'm really not scared at all about the electrical aspects. I'm an engineer, so I'm pretty sure that I can figure it out. As far as warranty goes, I went through their warranty, and as long as it's installed properly, the warranty is valid. Of course if I screw something up which frys the unit, I'm on the hook, but as mentioned, the money I'm saving means I can buy another one if this does happen and still be ahead.

Its really having the right service to the automation system and being able to pull the wires to the correct location, as long as you can do that, then it should be easy enough

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

The mark-up on this equipment is amazing at times. Sounds like you can handle this job on your own and perhaps save some big money. During my pool build, something always seemed to come up which equated to extra $$$. I had to have 10 trucks of fill come after they excavated. The home builder dumped a ton of tree logs under the ground where the pool was going to be. Boy, was that expensive!! Anyway good luck!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.