Basic question about pool opening

Apr 12, 2015
IL
New pool owner question.

After 4 hours of work, I got my cover off :( I am going to be replacing the out-dated tracks shortly so this should not continue to be an issue.

In any regards, I have the cover off now. However, my pool opening is not for a couple of weeks. I am not sure how to operate the pool yet--I am not comfortable with opening the pool myself.

We have some concrete / brick work scheduled this week. I would prefer not to open and close this cover anymore than I have to until we get the tracks replaced.

How long is it ok for me to keep this cover off the pool without the pump running (ie before opening the pool)?

What does the water look like?

If it's clear and cold, you're probably okay.
If it's clear but warming up, it'll probably turn green.
If it's already green, it will get worse.

Do you own one of the recommended test kits? If not, I'd suggest ordering one now. Then you'll have it when you do open. I'm 99 44/100% sure you won't find the right one in stock at a local pool store, but they will sell you something else and tell you it's the same.

You can have the pool guy reconnect everything and get the water circulating, and then take over right there. That way you'll be in control of your pool chemistry right from the start.

First of all, I am very grateful to have found this website. I was so worried about having this pool and not knowing a thing about it (I still don't know a thing about it but now have the confidence to move forward knowing that I will learn it on my own). Thanks for the replies.

I received my test kit the other day.

Richard230,

The pool is cloudy and cold. When I first opened the cover, it was clear -- but with many leaves / pine needles on the floor (the cover wasn't closed all the way over the winter). The pool has lots of debris--so I assume my filter is going to be working overtime when it starts. Hence, I have been trying manually remove as much as I can with my net.

"You can have the pool guy reconnect everything and get the water circulating, and then take over right there. That way you'll be in control of your pool chemistry right from the start. "
YES--this is what I want---I figure I can learn the rest. However, I am concerned as I have never used this equipment--need someone to show me the ropes (or something to walk me through this)?

I am considering getting SWG installed during opening. The pool guys (I have talked to two different companies) have both been against me converting to SWG... So, I would be doing so against their recommendations. During the opening (and conversion to SWG), I am hoping he doesn't want to add a bunch of other unnecessary chemicals. Not exactly sure how this will go.

Some concerns about SWG:
- My pool is lined with brick trim and concrete--worried about corrosion on the brick. (I *hope* this risk will be minimal as I am ok hosing off / pressure washer on the patio on a regular basis.)
- Not sure about a SWG an my existing heater (Hayward).
- Not sure about an SWG and corrosion of pool cover parts (new track and assembly)

pooldv,

I am working on getting all my pool vitals in my signature (still learning). Here is what I have so far:

42,100 gallons (I think) -- It's an "L" shaped pool .. 20x20x8ft and 25x30x3.5 ft
vinyl
Hayward heater
Sand Filter Pentair TA-60/60D

For pool covers with aluminum parts in contract with the water used with a SWG, we recommend installing a zinc anode connected to the bonding system and buried in damp soil.

The concrete and heater will be totally fine.

Brick varies a lot. Most, but not all, brick has problems with salt, a fair bit of brick has problems even without salt. The more rain/washing the brick gets, the less likely you are to have issues.

pooldv,

Here is a picture of the pool. I am assuming having this brick here will put me at more risk for problems if I convert to SWG?

I just had a representative from the pool cover company come over to evaluate what changes needed to fix my cover. I told him I was going to convert to SWG. He is the third person to strongly recommend against it. He mentioned that he uses EZ-Pool chemicals (and converted to this from an SWG). He told me that he has seen way too many problems from the use of a SWG and the industry has learned and is shifting away from this. He said, if the long-term ramifications of using an SWG are not a concern (if I will not be in this house for a long time), then use it.

The opinions that I hear locally and from this board are astoundingly different. Maybe I wait for a while before converting over.

I don't understand all the negative talk against SWG's. All the pool guys around here all but insisted on them last year, maybe because these were all Fiberglass Pool installs I was quoting and salt is not much of an issue with them? As much as I spent on my pool install last year, if there is a longterm problem with them, then ill rip it out even though salt water is awesome.

pooldv,

Here is a picture of the pool. I am assuming having this brick here will put me at more risk for problems if I convert to SWG? Maybe I wait for a while before converting over.

I don't think so, those are likely paver style bricks that have been kiln fired. There is certainly no reason to rush into a saltwater conversion. It is easy enough to maintain it with bleach/liquid chlorine in the meantime while you learn more.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.