Pool Heater Replacement

Mar 23, 2014
S. Jersey
Almost hate to stir this pot... but I'm looking to replace a 15 year old Laars Lite (millivolt) 325,000 NatGas Heater.
Thought my choices (live in South Jersey, near Philly) were Pentair MasterTemp or RayPak. Now I'm thinking that it's Pentair MT or Hayward Universal-H. One local dealer who carried RayPak has switched to Pentair so the big two in this area both install Pentair, two others have Hayward.

So I'm looking for some genuine advice, guidance, etc. One company has offered to check out my old Laars first and apply the service cost if it can't be reasonable repaired to the new heater.

And yes I'd love to buy a heater for several hundred $$$'s less online, but I'm wary of being able to find someone to install and warranty issues if it's not purchased and installed by a "approved" dealer.

Raypak's seem to get the most nods. Like you, none of my local guys carry Raypak so I'll be going with the Pentair master temp 400k btu heater. It seems to be the most common in these parts, I haven't heard any major complaints from home owners I spoke with.

I just put in a RayPak last season. Great so far. Would recommend. Installed myself as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Raypak is for sure the way to go. Had one for over 15 years. Replaced it a few years ago. It has the least moving parts. While the MasterTemp is also good, it has a blower motor which probably will need replacement at some point. The Raypak requires no blower motor unless you need the LOW NOx version. Also look at the ASME version, heavier duty headers and Heat Exchanger.

We have a master temp at our vacation house. Not a fan of it. I prefer my RayPak over the master temp 100%.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.