Texas pool

Jul 3, 2008
We live in East Texas about midway between Dallas and Houston. We rarely have freezing temperatures. What do you recommend for closing? I have been reading posts about leaving the cover off, running the pump for an hour a day, etc., but I am unsure. In the past I have always done the full cover, had a huge mess to clean off the cover, and usually it all spilt into the pool anyway when removing the cover. If I can leave the cover off I would love it. Please give me the benefit of your TFP experience.

I'm just north of Austin, so about the same temps as you get. I just leave the pool going year round. I do cut way back on pump time as the days grow shorter, to perhaps 3 hours each day.

My pool timer has a freeze protection switch that overrides the timer when the temps get too cold. It turns on the pump to keep water moving through all of the pipes until the weather warms up enough to be safe.

On some of the warmer days during fall and winter my kids actually swim, though the water is too cold for my weary old bones. :shock:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.