Air bubbles in pump lid

kgturner

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 5, 2014
Mobile, Alabama
So I've been chasing what I think or thought was a suction side leak for several weeks. There is a fair amount of bubbles in my pump lid plexi-glass. I've checked and lubed the lid O-ring, checked the skimmer level, checked the pump drain plugs, and all the exposed PVC joints. My pool doesn't have a main drain at the bottom. This evening I removed the actual strainer basket from the pump and the bubbles disappeared. However, after a couple of on/off cycles of the pump, they eventually returned. So, I'm stumped again. I guess my next step is to pressure test the lines and ensure that the in ground plumbing is fine. Any ideas or suggestions?

Kevin T

Kevin, I had the same problem and it went away when I replaced the o-ring. I used Amazon. Get more than one, it wasn't very long until the o-ring got deformed again.

You can also check the o-rings in all of the upstream unions. Them ensure that the unions themselves are screwed in pretty tight.

Drew
Honduras

Also, with the power OFF, open the lid and remove the basket. Stick your fingers down in there and see if there are leaves/debris on the impeller. When I fist got my house, there was all kinds of junk on the impeller and it was causing bubbles under the lid.

I took the lid off and took the o-ring out as well as disassembled the plexi top and cam ring. I washed everything down and got all the residual lubricant and grime out. I noticed the o-ring was a little slack when I reseated it in the lid so I ordered a new one. With a thin layer of lubricant on the ring the seal is pretty good now. There's only a single small bubble in the lid now. So, it appears my problem may have been o-ring after all. We'll see when the new one arrives in the mail. $5 for a rubber ring. Sheesh!

Kevin T

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.