Hayward sand filter leaking

Apr 11, 2015
canton michigan
Hi Everyone, I have a 10 year old Hayward fiberglass sand filter.It started leaking underneath, My pool guy came out he and i undid all the fittings
tilted it and really could not see any cracks underneath. He thought it could be leaking from a small seam on the bottom & said because of all the
pressure on the sand filter, Any kind of patch that i do would not hold.Bottom line he say's, I need a new sand filter cost would be $854.00.
Please give me any suggestions, Like most money is tight. Thank's for your help!

Welcome to TFP!

If the filter is indeed cracked, you will need to replace it. There is some chance the water is coming from somewhere else, though that isn't all that likely. Check to see if there could be a pin hole leak spraying water onto the filter from somewhere else.

Welcome to the forum Horse :wave:

I've never repaired one but for the cost of a kit vs a new filter it would seem to be worth the try. It makes sense a patch should hold if you clean and prepare the surface properly.

Does it only leak when running ??
Have you thought about adding a dye inside the filter, putting the multiport to waste and plugging the waste output and momentarily turning on the pump to get some pressure ??

I think red, blue, or green liquid food coloring would work. Yellow would not be dark enough. You can get a 1 or 2 oz bottle at your local food market. The bad thing is that it will get in your pool. You could open the top of your filter and dump it and mix it in with a paint stir stick or some such thing. Run the pump long enough to see it leak then back flush the heck out of it.

Not sure of exact model of filter. Most likely one of the poly pro models that do not patch well. Better to buy a new filter. Going back only 10 years it must be one of those. If you have the model number that would help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sand filter on Recirculate

My Hayward sand filter is crack, and leaking water. I have someone coming out next week to replace it.
My pool guy said i could put sand filter on Recirculate, so i don't lose so much water, will chlorine from feeder still
get into pool on Recirculate? Right now I only run sand filter for about 4 hour's a day.

Thank's

Re: Sand filter on Recirculate

It depends on where the feeder is in the plumbing. Do you have a photo we can look at?

MY gut feeling is yes, but I'd like to see how the pipes run.

Yes the flow is still going to the multiport, past the filter, through the heater and then through the chlorinator and to the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.