Is this Calcium Scaling?

AV8TOR

Dec 6, 2008
Fort Worth TX
I never had any problems in the 7-years of moving into this home with this pool. Last spring we had it re-plastered and through the winter I had a bigger problem with hi pH that ever. After taking the cover off I saw this when adding chems but just thought is was a dirt like powder that I have seen before but trying to clean it and its hard. Just looks and feels like hard sand. It's on shallow water mostly like the steps and seats

I would like to get some feedback before I start my own course of treatment but thinking a no drain acid wash maybe, maybe some ScaleTec too. Any thought of just going low on pH for a couple of weeks?

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 88
I should have added my numbers
pH 0s 7.5 but several times during the winter it crept to 8
TA 80 but had to raise it from 50 this winter - all last season constant 80
CA is 230 but I am afraid to add if this is calcium scaling
CYA is 40
Borates are 40
FC target is 5 and when I add daily bleach it is 2-3

While I can't say for certain, that does not really look like calcium scaling.

Does brushing affect it at all?

Brushing does not affect it at all. I have even tried a new stainless steel hand brush. Where there are the blue diamond tiles I see specs that are on there and I can rub the specs off but not on the plaster. I have not tried a pumice stone. There is one step that is 5 or 6" deep and I slowly poured muriatic acid there before the filter came on to see if there would be a fizz and there was not.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.