TA is high, can I close and tackle it in Spring?

kjcole

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 3, 2008
Solon, Iowa
Here's where I'm at with closing for winter in the next 3 or so weeks:

Ph 7.5
FC 3
TA 150
TH 180
CYA 40
salt 3200
Borates 50

I'd like to get the TA down even though the Ph has been rock solid all summer at 7.5 (and yes, the stabilizer levels are a little low right now - lot's of rain recently). So, I started adding acid and aerating this weekend (hooked up a 50 foot 'soaker' or sprinkler hose to my air compressor set at 60 lbs, attached a weight and let 'er bubble - 1/2 of the pool looked like a cauldron in full boil!). After 6-8 hours of keeping the Ph around 7.2 by periodic testing and acid addition (I'm installing the deck surrounding the pool, so I'm right there anyway), the TA is just barely budging (14 and a half ;>) drops during titration). My question is, since my TA will go back up when I return the water level to mid-skimmer next spring (high alkalinity water source) should I bother now, and just tackle it in the spring??

Kelly

Kelly,

I think you're fine to leave it. I'm pretty sure there are several here on the forum (JohnT, up where you live) that simply live with T/A in that range year round.

You don't post CH levels (that's fine unless they're outrageous) but, if your pH is as rock solid as you indicate, I'd not worry much about it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.