Skimmer box walls are destroyed!

Hi, I am having my concrete pool deck redone and they satrted ripping up the deck today and I noticed the skimmer walls were just crumbled, so I took it out. I need to replace it before Monday when the deck guys come back, so I'm going at this alone. A few pool stores down here are trying to sell me a Hayward Auto skimmer? box that looks like it's twice the size of the one I'm replacing. The old one is only 14 inches long and the Throat is 3 1/2 inches and it's a bluish color. The pool guy is saying to just buy the Hayward, which is much larger and has a throat thats like 7 inches long and a mouth opening of about 10 inches, mine is only 9 inches wide and it's 12 3/4 long. This is my first skimmer box replacement job and I'm not sure of the differences. The pool is older and small it's only a 15,000 gallon pool..thus the smaller skimmerbox? The pool guy said to just widen the opening on the pool wall to make the Hayward fit? If I do have to put a larger skimmer throat opening against the pool wall, how or what would i fill the gaps with. Please help...!thanks

Welcome to the forum Mccannone :wave:

And if at all possible please post up some photos of what you have, where it's going and if possible links or model #s of what is getting recommended to you. Want to make sure if we make a recommendation that it's the best info we can give you.

Hi all, I was able to find the skimmer box, it's made by Pentair. It's the Skim Clean Skimmer. I am going to wait till Monday when they open and just buy a replacement. I've taken out the old one and if i can find it, it will just pop right in. Any advice on how to adhere the throat opening to the wall opening in the pool wall. Should I use pool putty, or something else??
thanks again!
Jim

Welcome to the forum Mccannone :wave:

And if at all possible please post up some photos of what you have, where it's going and if possible links or model #s of what is getting recommended to you. Want to make sure if we make a recommendation that it's the best info we can give you.

Hi, I found a skim clean skimmer box, the only one in existence. I took out the old one and have put in the new one and piped it in. My question is the opening of the throat that goes up against the pool wall opening is not perfectly flush. What should I fill the gaps with to insure that it does not leak. Should I cement it in around the throat to fill the gaps around the mouth??
thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.