Pool Leak Help

robl45

Oct 27, 2007
Parkland, FL
My pool appears to have a leak. I thought it might be leaking but its Florida, its hot, it hasn't been raining and the pool is only about 9000 gallons so I figured water was just evaporating. Today I got home and the water was at least 3 inches below where it was in the morning. It had gone from above the skimmer to below the skimmer. I had noticed one of my laminar jets cavity was filled with water when I had it out last weekend, but didn't really think too much of it, just figured it was rain water or splashed water or whatever in there. I decided to test it tonight and noticed it was leaking from the union in the flexible piping in the hole where it sits. Not a whole lot but definately leaking. Some person forgot to put the oring in the union and luckily the laminars come with spare orings. I replaced it and the leak seems to be stopped from there. I can't for the life of me imagine that would drain 3 inches of water out of the pool though??

I also have a very tiny pinhole leak in the pump body, but that at most could be shooting out 5 gallons tops in the 5 hours it runs. I'm probably way over estimating the amount of water, but no way could that little spray be doing that much water. I do notice when the skimmer is running more so than the main drain only that it seems like there are some bubbles getting into the pump so possible there is some sort of leak there. Is there any easy way to figure this out or am I looking at paying someone a lot of money?

Bubbles in the basket is a suction side leak, above ground most of the time. Probably from your pump body (when water goes out through the pinhole, some air comes in) or other PVC fitting. If your skimmer has a deep water vortex or your water level gets too low on the skimmer mouth, you'll get some air from the skimmer as well. I'd look at trying to patch the leak in the pump body with some plastic epoxy, but that's dependant on where the leak actually is. Also try examining for leaks in the rest of the pumping area plumbing. Shaving cream on joints will get sucked into the the holes/leaks if they are there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.