New in Northern California

Jun 11, 2007
NorCal
Hi!
My name is Jennifer and I found this forum from a mention in a post at PoolForum. I'm so glad that you started this site, because I found it frustrating reading there and not being able to post.

My husband insisted on purchasing a home with a pool 2 years ago. For the first year, we had a pool guy. Then my husband got cheap and let him go. Apparently, the green swamp in our backyard didn't motivate him to learn about pool care (or maybe he is just really effective at passive-aggression) so I decided to start researching how to care for our pool on the internet. We spent a week doing it Leslie's way. It was very expensive and our pool was still green. Now we are doing it BBB. So far, it has been much more effective.

We have a 17,000 gunite, black plaster pool. We can't swim in it yet. . . but it is getting there.

Jennifer, welcome to TFP (and your husband too if he decided to drop in) ;)

This may be old news to you buy now, but if you read the stickies in the Just Getting Started area, you'll learn just about everything you'll need to know to get that pool in perfect swimming condition.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/viewforum.php?f=24

I'd also recommend a good test kit.

Thanks for starting this site and the welcome, Sean.

My husband is too young to be a techno-dinosaur, but he doesn't even have an email address. His computer prowess is basically limited to playing Solitaire, so I'll be shocked if he ever joins. :-D

I've got a good test kit on order (sorry, but I ordered it before I found your site) and I've read extensively at PoolForum and here. I'm still a newbie, though and have plenty of questions, especially about the mechanics of our filter system. I'm learning slowing but surely.

I only have one picture of it and it doesn't show very well, but here it is:

41.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don't know if the pool had an algae problem at that point or not. I'm kind of laughing because this looks good compared to where our pool was at two weeks ago. :oops: The pic was taken two years ago, before I bought the house. I was thinking it could be the angle and reflection of the trees.

I'll try to get a picture of it later this week. Or maybe I will wait until my water is pretty again.