Conflicting Salt Level Test Readings

Apr 10, 2015
Menifee, CA
I recently had to replace my Hayward Turbo Cell. When the old one was going bad I did not realize it began giving erroneously low salt level readings. This is when I made the big mistake - added salt when the existing salt level was probably just fine. After partially draining the pool and refilling it things returned to normal, though I think I may still have a little too much salt in the pool. Not wanting to make a mistake again I bought a Salt-3000 digital salinity meter to corroborate the readings from the Turbo Cell. On subsequent testing the Salt-3000 gave me a reading of 4300 PPM while the Turbo Cell was reporting 3900 PPM. Concerned about the discrepancy I bought some AquaChek salt test strips. They gave me a reading of 3400 PPM at the same time I was getting 4300 and 3900 from the Salt-3000 and Turbo Cell respectively. Now I'm really perplexed. If the Salt-3000 is more accurate I should probably be draining water from the pool and refilling to further lower the salt level, but if the AquaChek strips are more correct no action is required. Which test should I believe? By the way, the chlorine generation is working just fine and the chlorine level is perfect. Should I just leave well enough alone?

Welcome to TFP!

Even the best salt test kits are +-400 in the range you care about. So some variation in readings is to be expected.

I would just leave it alone. As long as the SWG is happy there is no point in replacing water. It is only when the SWG is complaining about high salt that you should replace water, regardless of what other salt tests say. The time salt tests are valuable is when you suspect that the SWG is reading lower than actual, then you need to start worrying about getting salt test results.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.