West Hills, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I've read a bunch of "smell" posts and some say to SLAM, others say its nothing. I've smelled this slight fish smell on and off for probably the last 2 months, pool is only maybe 4 months old. i just catch a whiff of it every so often. water has been super clear and levels are rockin'. Chlorine level is finally balanced w/ my SWC. I have the 2005 kit so i need to get the other test you guys always talk about, although, if you add 5 drops of no.3 to the chlorine test it sort of shows you the CC if the color changes, right? (it doesnt change at all).

So, should i slam? im thinking i haven't emptied my vac leaf canister in a bit and there could just be some gunk in there stinking (gonna take care of that later today).

FC - 4 (been steady for a couple weeks)
CC - 0?
ph 7.4 - 7.8 (rises maybe a little less than .1 every day - new plaster)
TA 70
CH 200
CYA 56
Water Temp is 63 degees
any thoughts?
jjg

Pools never smell like fish ... you have a garbage can nearby :suspect: :D

Order the FAS-DPD chlorine test and you will then have the equivalent to the K-2006 ... although you likely need CYA refills too.

Pools never smell like fish ... you have a garbage can nearby :suspect: :D

Order the FAS-DPD chlorine test and you will then have the equivalent to the K-2006 ... although you likely need CYA refills too.

Yes, i just ran out of the CYA solution. gonna hit the pool store this weekend to get that and the FAS - also some muriatic acid. ;-) was thinking of throwing in some koi! LOL! the smell is definitely coming off the water - its just EVER so slight.

It is very unlikely that you will find the FAS-DPD reagents locally unless you have a commercial warehouse. Most pool stores will not have it and honestly may have no idea what you are talking about.

Yes, i just ran out of the CYA solution. gonna hit the pool store this weekend to get that and the FAS - also some muriatic acid. ;-) was thinking of throwing in some koi! LOL! the smell is definitely coming off the water - its just EVER so slight.

Not sure about the pool stores in the valley, but Leslies around Ventura/Camarillo doesn't carry the any of the FAS-DPD reagents (R-0870, R-0871) :(

Unfortunately I am a habitual procrastinator and failed to order the powder online prior to running out. When I actually needed some, I ran to the store, but they didn't carry any. They could order some and have it in the store in a couple of days but I could do that too... Anyway good luck.

Discount PoolMart is where i go - the place is WAY better than Leslie's - all the pool guys get there stuff there. No furniture, minimal toys, lots of gears, parts and chemicals - i love it. they have the regent but not the full test. i guess the regent is the same as the reg chlorine test? but they don't sell the powder.

Are you sure? If they do, they should have all the reagents then. If so, you'll only need a vial you can test 10ml of water in. Better double check to see which ones they are.

I would suggest ordering the kit. It also has the scoop you'll need for the powder. You can improvise that, but it's better not too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
they sell the 0871 at the store but not the whole kit so i'll order it to get the spoon and the powder and all that. i think it very well might be the leaves rotting in my basket, its been a bit since i've emptied it. i'll give that a shot, its hard to believe that anything too extreme is going on. i really love testing that water - kind of fun and definitely was an easy habit to pick up. thanks for all your help everyone!

they sell the 0871 at the store but not the whole kit so i'll order it to get the spoon and the powder and all that. i think it very well might be the leaves rotting in my basket, its been a bit since i've emptied it. i'll give that a shot, its hard to believe that anything too extreme is going on. i really love testing that water - kind of fun and definitely was an easy habit to pick up. thanks for all your help everyone!
hey, we are here to help!

Wierd that they sell the 871 without the powder.

You really want to keep,the skimmer baskets as clean as possible. Junk in the basket is still "in the water" so your chlorine sees it as an organic and tries to oxidize it.

Okay, a bit of a development. So Friday night im standing near the skimmer and i smell the scent, put my head in there and i definitely smell it....next day im taking a shower...I smell it in the shower! now i get some water from my fridge, i smell it in my CUP!!! so something is up from the water we are getting in the house. i thought i was hallucinating! its for sure there though. gonna call DWP and have them check it out. its not horrible, almost imperceptible - but i know its there and am sensitive to it. i was in the spa today and after a minute i didnt even notice it. but at least i know its not from something i did! weird!

It is probably an algae bloom in the lake the water is coming from. We get that occasionally.

gonna talk to a couple of my neighbors to see if they've noticed it to. with all the craziness in southern California over water and the cost of it, it should at least taste and smell good!

i changed my refrigerator water filter and it eliminated any trace of it from the drinking water. waiting to hear back from DWP. im hoping they send someone out to do some testing. from what im reading, it might be some sort of organic or possibly a metal.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.