Waxahachie, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I'm going to have a swamp if I don't get this under control fast.. I entered my readings in the calculator - and I know how much to add.. but I'm not sure where to start...

PH 7.5
FC .5
CC .5
TC 1.0
TA 80
CH 180
CYA 10

SALT - 1350 (per computer)

Clear water, noticing stains (from acorns... or so I thought...)

I suppose my CYA would be the most critical and bleach..? My pool builder left some of those round tablets, would take help get my CYA up faster (I normally don't use those..) I'm off to the store to buy Stabilizer/Salt/DE/Bleach/MA as soon as I finish here.. THANKS!!

Ok,

Cya to 30. pH to 7.2. Put the Cya in a sock in the skimmer, then adjust pH. Get several bottles of bleach. Start adding it to get you to SLAM level for 30 Cya. See the slam link in my signature. Post back for help. :goodjob:

Edit: do all that first in that order, worry about salt later.

You're welcome! Glad to help and I'll check back in on Ya.

When you get the Cya in the sock/skimmer, and the acid dosed in, you can forget about those two tests for now. If you want to check on the pH after acid, that's fine, just give it 30-45 minutes before testing, and before Bleach additon. Assume the Cya is there from the start, and begin the Bleach additions. You said you were ok with Pool Math, but let us know if there is a question before you proceed.

You're welcome! Glad to help and I'll check back in on Ya.

When you get the Cya in the sock/skimmer, and the acid dosed in, you can forget about those two tests for now. If you want to check on the pH after acid, that's fine, just give it 30-45 minutes before testing, and before Bleach additon. Assume the Cya is there from the start, and begin the Bleach additions. You said you were ok with Pool Math, but let us know if there is a question before you proceed.

Getting closer! I had 11% bleach, and 8.25 %... so I added each carefully. (Some was from last season, so I wasn't sure it was ok...)

Right this minute my FC is at 12. going to take one more reading before bed. Pump will run all night.

CYA is dangling in the skimmer... I've squeezed the nylon sock to make it work faster...

FC 11
I'll make sure it's at 12 before I hit the sack. Do I need to check anything else? Thank you in advance!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you! Still working on it!

FC dropped to 9, added 72oz of 8.25% Bleach
PH was 8.2 - so I added 35 oz MA
CYA - I emptied the whole bottle into the tube, still can see the black dot.

Is it ok to do open the drains to get the grit out? Then backwash if the pressure rises?

Brushing more than twice a day. (I don't suppose it's safe to get IN the water to scrub it.... right? I've got alot of nooks and crannies.. especially in the grotto.)

Thanks you in advance!

Wait on adding more acid. Your pH will show false high at your SLAM FC level. Ignore pH during slam. Did you adjust it down before starting SLAM as suggested? If not, you're ok, just don't add more acid.

Yes, you can get in to scrub up to shock level for your Cya. Don't test for Cya anymore either. Assume it's there.

Yes, safe to open drains.

Thank you for your quick response. I'll wait a bit for the sun before I get in..

Yes, I dropped the PH to 7.2 as you suggested.
So basically keep FC at 12, Brush and watch the pressure for now..

Thanks again!

Oh no! The sun came out... :splash:

Yep, cloudy/cool here today and I wouldn't be getting in yet. Good deal then, just worry about FC now until you're done. Once you backwash, get a good read on the new clean pressure so you know when to BW again. Brush away, keep hitting it :stirpot: :D

When you make FC additions, it would be better if you hit 13 or 14 than just making it to 12 on the money or missing it at 11. It won't be harmful, and you'll drop down to 12 pretty quickly here on the front end of the SLAM. Just scrub before you make the next FC addition for good measure.

Enjoy the swim....:snorkle:

FC at 13.5

Well... I ended up having to show houses today. No no swim/scrubbing for me today! I did get to brush it twice though.

I got back home at tonite and discovered my LED light is out. I don't suppose lightbulbs are under warranty for 3 years.

I'll see what the reading is in the morning and check in. Thanks again..

It's worth a shot to call the PB and see what he says, and it sure can't hurt to ask.

You're doing really well with this it looks like. Just keep hitting it hard and it will clear up for you. Post back if you have anything, and show us a pic when it's all done. :lol:

OK!! Thanks!

FC 13.5 SAME as last night! :party:

Well, I'm going back out to sweep and get the dirt/dust/? via the drains and backwash.
Thanks!!

Last edited:
Well, I don't know where my post went from yesterday. When I had to add bleach yesterday, I used the first jug, then grabbed MA and poured it in about 3 cups. I didn't realize it until I took my next reading.. PH had gone down to 7.2, FC was at 14. I looked in the trash, and saw the two bottles. I NORMALLY keep them on separate shelves.

Right this minute..

FC 10.5
PH 7.2

My pool has a hybrid color - Diamondbrite - which is quite mottled. Which is fine, but it makes it hard to tell what's going on with the color. I don't "see any algae, It looks clear enough, I swept, drained the bottom from the spa and the pool and backwashed. When I went to bed, my FC was 14. Now its at 10.5. I am getting in the pool today and scrubbing out the grotto. I can't reach some places, so that may be a problem.

Thank you Patrick, any advice?

I have had to work all weekend. I'm like "PEOPLE... :bounce: I have a POOL PROBLEM!!!" (I hope that didn't come through, that's rude.)

I would keep the FC at 12 if at all possible until dark. When all the sun is off the pool this evening, run FC. Then in the morning, run another FC BEFORE sun is on the pool. Let's compare the two for overnight loss.

Do not worry about pH any more, or add acid until we clear up the SLAM procedure. It will be ok where it is.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.