Considering VS pump: need SVRS?

Prav

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 23, 2010
Miami, FL
My pump died. ::moment of silence::

Near its death, I had been running it way too much just to best maintain FC (lot of leaves/organics, lots of sun and high water temp) and the electric bill was out of control. So, I'm biting the bullet and investing in VS - figure I'll get the cost back in electric savings.

So now I see the Pentair 011018 vs. 011017, and the difference seems to be the "safety vacuum release system". Do i need to get that (i.e., pay $300 more)? Drain blockage has never been an issue, the only suction problem I have every so often is if the water level dips near the bottom of the skimmer - that gets counteracted by opening up the main drain a bit.

As in the past, feedback here has been great, so looking for some again. Thanks in advance!

You should avoid the SVRS version unless you are required to have a SVRS. Usually that only happens when you have a single drain, rather than a dual drain.

By the by, in Florida you will have a lower total lifetime cost if you get an appropriately sized two speed pump.

I looked at the two speed and my impression was that that the high speed was too high.
Maybe I should rethink that. Would help if you give me some guidance to what "appropriately sized" means to you. :)

A single or two speed pump needs to be sized appropriately to run the spa jets with the appropriate amount of jet action. In this case, if your existing pump works well with the spa then you will want to have a two speed where high speed is about the same as your current single speed. Then you run the spa on high speed, and the pool on low speed. Pools don't need very much for circulation, and low speed will be around right.

A variable speed lets you optimize both the spa and pool speeds a little more finely, but the additional savings won't pay for the additional up front cost of the variable speed over the life of the pump unless your electric rates are a fair bit higher then is typical for Florida.

Like Jason said, if you existing pump works well for the spa ... then I would just replace the motor on your existing (3 year old) pump with a 2-speed version. Add a manual toggle switch and leave it on low speed all the time except for when you your the spa.

That is only going to be around 1/3 the cost of the Intelliflo.

I knew that (as always) I'd get some spot-on advise here.

So, if my 1½HP was good enough for spa (it was), just need to find a 1½ (hi) xx (lo) motor.

Recommendations? I'll be off to search after 4/15 (can't come quickly enough!).

Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.