Landscape / Backwash drain

no-mas

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 16, 2008
FL
I'm having about 140' of new 4" drain line installed to drain water from the back of my house to the street at the front, and will have it tied in to my pool plumbing to backwash my DE and/or drain pool water to the street also. I have the option of smooth or corrugated pipe, and while the corrugated pipe is less expensive, I get concerned with it clogging with DE and dirt. The guy doing the job says it's up to me, but the corrugated should be fine and I'm probably over concerned. Anybody have thoughts?

Crush resistance in the corrugated is an issue if it's not buried very deep......I use a lot of corrugated but always try to get it into the ground at least 16"....more is better.

I doubt you'll have any problem with the corrugated if you have it in the ground deep enough. Some DE will settle in the bottom, but the turbulent flow is pretty good at keeping the pipe open. You should check with local authorities, as many areas have ordinances prohibiting the dumping of DE on the ground or in the street.

Just had this project completed and used double walled N-12 pipe - not too much more $ than the plain corrugated, less labor than the pvc, and is smooth inside and corrugated outside. Best of both worlds, and works like a charm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.