Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Landscape / Backwash drain

1. Back To Top    #1

Landscape / Backwash drain

I'm having about 140' of new 4" drain line installed to drain water from the back of my house to the street at the front, and will have it tied in to my pool plumbing to backwash my DE and/or drain pool water to the street also. I have the option of smooth or corrugated pipe, and while the corrugated pipe is less expensive, I get concerned with it clogging with DE and dirt. The guy doing the job says it's up to me, but the corrugated should be fine and I'm probably over concerned. Anybody have thoughts?
    18k gal inground, everbrite finish, 505 sq ft; 1.5 hp two speed whisperflow; rheem 5100ti 100k btu heat pump; 3 sheer descent falls; DE filter; swg (cell out and using trichlor for now)

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Landscape / Backwash drain

Crush resistance in the corrugated is an issue if it's not buried very deep......I use a lot of corrugated but always try to get it into the ground at least 16"....more is better.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I doubt you'll have any problem with the corrugated if you have it in the ground deep enough. Some DE will settle in the bottom, but the turbulent flow is pretty good at keeping the pipe open. You should check with local authorities, as many areas have ordinances prohibiting the dumping of DE on the ground or in the street.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the info - I'll find out how deep he intends to bury the pipe and go from there...
    18k gal inground, everbrite finish, 505 sq ft; 1.5 hp two speed whisperflow; rheem 5100ti 100k btu heat pump; 3 sheer descent falls; DE filter; swg (cell out and using trichlor for now)

5. Back To Top    #5

Just had this project completed and used double walled N-12 pipe - not too much more $ than the plain corrugated, less labor than the pvc, and is smooth inside and corrugated outside. Best of both worlds, and works like a charm.